Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
BITS N BYTES

LCD Option Board - CP1W-DAM01

9 posts in this topic

I would like to use this LCD option board on a CP1L PLC to allow the customer to change the value of six DM data areas in the PLC. This will be used for fine tuning operation in the field. What I don't want to allow is customer access to any other functions [PLC Mode, Memory Cassette, PLC Setup etc. etc.] that the LCD Option Board can modify. In essence this is a very, very simple HMI. In reading the rather scant documentation for this unit it would appear that the "Message Screen" function of the LCD Board may be a method I could to use. Does anyone have experience with this unit and if so can one lockout access to to all the LCD menus except for the six data areas I want the customer to change. Any ideas, comments, user experience always welcome.

Hi, I have done some testing with 1 of these, and there are certain things that seem useful, and some that do not, IMO. What i have decided on, is that it is probably more useful for displaying information only, changing values etc I have not explored yet. By forcing the message screens to be always displayed, this effectively locks out the other areas. I have some code that cycles between 3-4 screens, depending on what is going, and seems to work ok. The other thing to be aware of, is that any data that is to be displayed has to be converted to ascii, so there is a bit of code in doing this as well. I hope this helps a bit.

Why not use a http://industrial.omron.co.uk/en/products/...2s/default.html or NTXS. And then have one screen that they plug into the PLC to tune it as nessecary. (You'd need serial and power) I assume you have several of these installs.

At this display three big lacks: - It cannot be taken out on a case door, as at FX - It does not support UNICODE - It is not convenient in programming

Great post - Many thanks. Question regarding one of your statements. By forcing the message screens to be always displayed, this effectively locks out the other areas. I have some code that cycles between 3-4 screens, depending on what is going, and seems to work ok. How do you force the message screens to be always displayed and prevent access to all the other setup screens? My understanding is that a W word set in the LCD flash memory is used to access message screens. Message screens that CAN be accessed have a corresponding bit in the W word set ON. So for example if W100 is the assigned message word and the PLC forces ON W100.0, W100,5 and W100.14 [Write Hex 2021 to W100] then only screens 1, 6 and 14 can be accessed with the LCD and scrolled through when pressing the UP key. Any more info on how you did this? - THNX AGAIN

Yes, this is correct. What I did, was set it so that the screens that were required to be displayed, had their W bits stepped through automatically every so many seconds. This may/may not be suitable for your application, but sounds like you have a plan! One thing I did just notice, that if the required bits were set, and the up/down arrows buttons are pressed, then a blank screen was triggered, which was a bit odd. You could possible add some code in that 'resets' the W area every minute, then re-enables the screen to be displayed, then sets the extra bits for the other required screens. I may modify my cycling code, to stop every so many minutes, to allow for manual cycling/monitoring, then cycle automatically for a minute or something. Could possibly do this off an input, or off 1 of the analog adjusters, just to allow for complete flexibility. FYI, I am displaying values with decimal places as well, so there is a bit of BCD, ASC and MOVD instructions involved, but I am sure that this will not be a problem for you (based on your name!!) I hope this helps some more.

Recently Omron much all has started to let out "not for us". And managers of Omron very much are surprised when we refuse to take their production.

Got the LCD Option Board today. Works great for my application. Configuring the Monitor and Message screens is very simple though it is not possible to lockout the PLC access screens. If configured correctly the 16 Monitor screens allow up to 4 parameters per screen [84 in total] to be accessed and modified. Though the 16 message screens have only four lines it is possible with a little creative PLC code to have an almost unlimited number of messages displayed on the LCD. Very pleased and happy with this product. A low cost and simple device for allowing changes to data for machine configuration and setup.