Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ratcliffe_ic

AEG Modicon PLC Replacement

9 posts in this topic

I have a machine with an AEG Modicon PLC which needs the PLC replacing, is there an upgrade path which will allow the existing code to be auto-converted for use in an up-to-date Schnieder PLC? Anyone done this, know of any pitfalls.

Which AEG Modicon PLC CPU are you talking about?

It is a 984 series, not sure of the exact part code, but I've attached a pic.

You can rip out a 984 and move it forward to a Quantum using the ProWORX NxT or ProWORX/32 software. Program would remain the same, just change PLC type in the software and download.

I've seen exactly that done at one plant, and very successfully. Since Quantum also supports Modicon S908 remote I/O, they were able to make the change in steps, replacing the processor rack first while keeping the existing remote I/O racks. ProWorx, on the other hand, is enough to make you give up 984 ladder logic. Mike

Thanks for the info, what do you mean by "ProWorx, on the other hand, is enough to make you give up 984 ladder logic."?

please everybody STOP talking about Proworx or whatever!!!!! UNITY is the newest Schneider (MODICON) PLC programming software. It is provided of all old software converter from MODSOFT (Proworx), CONCEPT, PL7PRO to the unique plattform UNITYPRO. So ratcliffe_ic you could buy a new complete Modicon Quantum configuration and convert the existing program to Unity PRo by means of Unity software tools. Another solution is to keep all I/O and rack and connect it to a new Quantum PLC... for this solution contact your nearest Schneider Electric office. Your existing rack will be seen as a remote I/O drop and you don't need to re-cabling the field.

I've just checked and Unity Pro can open Modsoft projects (.env) and Proworx32 databases (.pwx). I've spoken to my Schneider rep who says there is no direct conversion into Unity Pro and it will need a rewrite to get it into a M340 PLC, he also mentioned the vertical column scan in the AEG Modicon, which has caused me problems before when going to a left to right scanning PLC. Have you actually done what you say above because I am getting confused over what is possible?

All that is trua about the software upgrade, but why do you need to upgrade? Do you require the additional features of the Quantum? If so, then the upgrade to Quamtum wil be fairly easy, even if you only replace the processor, you can can keep the 800 series I/O (with a few adaptors) If not, there is no reason to replace the hardware.....don't let the Schneider salespeople "force" you into something that you don't need. There is PLENTY of support for all of those products that you have there. Good luck!