Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Nathan

Free OPC-UA server

1 post in this topic

I've had to hold my tongue about this for quite awhile now, but it's finally official! The Ignition Platform (evolution of FactorySQL and FactoryPMI) includes a free OPC UA server (module). Watch as the capabilities and features continue to grow. The Gateway (web server) has a built in "quick client" that's pretty slick. In Internet Explorer/Firefox you can browse the memory space of your PLCs, write values, have it automatically update, etc. This works from any computer on the network, even from home via a VPN, etc. It should satisfy a lot of situations where you've been forced to use Excel with DDE just to read/write simple values to your PLCs - and more. Of course, when used with the Vision module (Formerly FactoryPMI), you can create as extensive an HMI/SCADA/MES application as you want or the SQL Bridge Module (Formerly FactorySQL) you can do historian/batching/transactaional/recipe/downtime type applications as before. As of now, there are drivers for all Allen Bradley Ethernet PLCS. I've played with beta versions of Modbus, Automation direct, and Siemens...I'll provide an update as to what's actually supported. More will come with time. The platform runs on pure Java so it's 100% supported on Linux, Windows, etc. Also, the platfrom is modular, so as API documentation and example code is released, savy users will be able to create their own modules and drivers. There's a lot more info on the new Inductive Automation web site.