Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
KinK

Restoring Factory talk View SE

4 posts in this topic

Hi I am pritty new to Factory Talk, Our Priamary Server went down hard and I am trying to restore it. I Have a new server with Win 2k3 R2 installed and updated, I have installed all the Factory talk software. The questions I am not sure about is the following 1. How do I restore the high availability connection with the backup server 2. How do I restore all the project files etc. 3. I have an OPC connection to a PI database that also needs to be installed any advice on this? Thank you for any help

Is your FactoryTalk Directory server (FTD) lost? If so, the first thing you'll need to do is recreate or restore your FactoryTalk application. The following answer ID in Rockwell's knowledgebase has info on backing up/restoring FT Applications as well as HMI servers: http://rockwellautomation.custhelp.com/app...tail/a_id/59010 If the FTD is gone and you have no backup already created, it'll have to be from scratch. If the FTD was on a different machine and is still up and running, then your application will still be available and you'll just need to get the HMI server back. 1) If you're creating the application from scratch, you'll need to add the HMI server anew. If the application is restored, it will already have a location for the HMI server which will need to be 'resynced' with the HMI project on the local PC. With the HMI server(s) added in, right click and select Properties. Within the Properties dialog you'll see a redundancy tab. From this tab, you can browse to/input the secondary HMI server name. Note: the tab will be entirely grayed out if the start up mode is set to "On Demand" on the General tab - it must be set to "Load and run startup components when operating system initializes" for redundancy to become available. 2) The link above will show how to transfer the files from your secondary server to your primary server. DO NOT use the "replicate" button in the redundancy tab mentioned in #1 - this is a primary to secondary one way street; no changes come from secondary to primary. 3) Not sure if you mean that you have configured an OPC server on the HMI machine, or if you're trying to get the OPC data server added back in to the FactoryTalk Application. I'm going to guess the latter. If the application was restored, this data server will already exist and you'll just need to point it to wherever the newly configured server lives. If the application is new, right click (preferably in a new area) and Add New Server -> OPC Data Server.

Mmmm Ok We are going to be Replacing the Dead (no file recovery possible) primary HMI Server with a new Server I have installed the Factory Talk View site edition. the backup server is currently being used to operate the plant. I have the New server, OS and Factory talk software installed. does this change the advice? thanks for the help

Only in that you can ignore the sections that suggest backing anything up off the old PC. The wildcard now is basically where your FTD was/is located. If it was on the dead server, you'll have to create the application from scratch. You'll want to keep the server/area names the same before or you might have to redo some of the project programming (e.g., the tag database or direct reference tags would be pointing at a specific area name and data server name for the tag addresses.) If you're not sure where the FTD is/was, check out the Specify FactoryTalk Directory Location utility on the secondary server (Programs -> Rockwell Software -> FatoryTalk Tools.) It will give you the PC name or IP address of the FTD. If this ends up being something other than the dead PC, point your newly created server to the same address and your FT Application will be ready to go, just needing to have the HMI server files copied to the new server and then the new server name applied to the HMI server. If it ends up being the dead PC, you'll know you need to recreate the application. You can still get the HMI server files from the secondary using the backup/restore utility mentioned earlier. Don't do a simple copy/paste, as you might corrupt the files that are currently running the plant, and/or there are file permission issues that can come into play.