Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
PdL

CX-One now officially supports Windows 7!

14 posts in this topic

Courtesy of MyOmron.com: Read the announcement on MyOmron.com Well done Omron!

Omron forging ahead. Software that is obviously built on a strong flexible base code that is relatively easy to maniuplate to cope with newer OS's. Now wouldn;t that be something if Omron put out a Linux version, it would certainly be a first.

I will be all ears when Omron supports 64 bit operating systems.

Some claim you can run it on 64 bit in 32 bit mode anyway. And then there is always Virtual Box - not full 64 bit but!!!

I have to put in my +1 for VMWare here...

The 64bit issue is USB drivers for NS & CP1. I couldn't get them to work in a virtual machine & I was informed by this forum that it won't work.

No it won't - the driver has to be installed in the operating system so the virtual machine can access it through the operating system and take it over.

There is a 'work around' for Windows 7 64 bit and Omron USB drivers. Microsoft has a new virtual PC called Windows Virtual PC. This is for Windows 7 only. It is a free download, as is XP Mode, which is a virtual hard drive of Windows XP. This new Virtual PC features Hardware Virtualization, which must also be turned on in the BIOS of the PC. This allows direct support of USB in the XP OS, without loading the USB driver in the Windows 7 environment. This allows the USB drivers in CX One to work on a 64 bit Windows 7 machine. See more at the Microsoft site below. http://www.microsoft.com/windows/virtual-pc/default.aspx

Great bit of info on Virtual PC! I notice it also runs on Vista Business. Will give it a try.

BobB I may be wrong, but everything that I have read says that the new Windows Virtual PC is only for Windows 7. I don't have an Vista Business machine to try it out on. Let us know how it goes!

Click here http://www.microsoft.com/windows/virtual-pc/default.aspx then here http://www.microsoft.com/windows/virtual-pc/get-started.aspx then here http://www.microsoft.com/windows/virtual-p...al-pc-2007.aspx and Voila! It is available for Vista Business too. The only thing is it mentions XP Pro with SP3. From my understanding of AB stuff quite a bit of it does not run on SP3. It is quite possible this may be the case with other things too. With the work around with Virtual PC 2007 the 32 bit drivers for the Omron USB/serial converter should work too.

BobB Again, I could be wrong, but I think that Microsoft pulled a fast one on you. The last link switched you back to Virtual PC 2007. This does not support Hardware Virtulalization. It does support serial and Ethernet ports, and this is the environment that I use for my RS Logix 5000 on a WinXP machine.

You are right - one page says yes to Vista but when you dig deeply it will not run on Vista. You would think they would get it right!!

I chased my tail for a while trying to understand that all one day. The cross linking on the Microsoft web site is very confusing on this issue. Several individuals the I work with are running the XP Mode for Windows 7, with USB support for CP1H and other Omron products with no problems.