Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
iautomate

Comms between Controllogix processors

4 posts in this topic

I have a quick need to make another Controllogix communicate and read tags from another another Controllogix controller to control several outputs to a display unit. I plan to use E-net for comms but I have no idea on the setup for beginning this process. Any help out there?

Two ways. First, you can create produced tags on the source and consume them on the destination processor. You simply have to create the tags just like any other. This is documented very well in the manuals. Both processors have to be able to communicate via multicasting which means they need to be on the same Ethernet broadcast domain (on the same LAN/VLAN). The producer multicasts the data via the RPI that you set and the consumer receives the packets as they come in. This is the easiest to deal with from a programming point of view. The second method uses the MSG instruction. This allows you to explicitly send/receive data. You have full control over it and there's both a WRITE and READ method so that either processor can set up and schedule the transmission. Again, very well documented in the manuals. This is unicasted and uses TCP so it can navigate across different LAN's or even across the internet.

On Paul's first option (implicit messaging) it is recommended that the switch(es) in the network be managed with IGMP Snooping enabled, to filter the multicasts.

If you are using redaundancy in your project you cannot use produced and consumed tags and have to use the "second" method ^^ above