Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
freewayc

GE Fanuc 90-30 using Proficy.

3 posts in this topic

Hello everyone, I apologize in advance if this topic was covered in another post but doing a quick search, I did not find it. I need to communicate with an Fanuc 90/30 (352 processor) using Proficy software to download a program. What do I need to do and what cable must I use? I'm sure I could find this out on my own but the machine is down and I'm trying to take a shortcut via this forum if possible. Thanks.

There are several cables that you could use: IC693CBL316 - RJ-11 RS-232 HE693SNP232 - just the adapter 9pin RS-232 to 15pin RS-485 AS693232SNP - Cable with built in adaptor or build your own: You should be able to use either 15 pin (RS-485, I recommend the power supply port) port. The hardware and software defaults will put you online "out-of-the-box". You will need to stop the CPU to DL a new hardware configuration, but not just logic. Edited by RussB

I appreciate the help!! I ended up solving my own problem. At first I used an E-bay USB to 485 cable that did not work. Although it was stated as being a 90-30 direct cable, I think it is straight wired and not according to GE's wiring. In case anyone else runs into this problem here was my situation: IC693CPU352 (One RS-232 port and one RS-485 port) I used a Horner SNP to RS-232 cable catalog# HE693SNPCBL Proficy software and nothing else. Being new to Fanuc PLC's I figured that there might be some communication software involved, similar to AB's RSLinx, but that is not the case. Simply plug in the cable to your PLC and laptop, fire up the plc and the Proficy software, make sure you are in program mode then choose target and go online. Merry Christmas!