Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
tommu56

abb s4 robot / ABB d239 configuration= AB RIO card

5 posts in this topic

We have IRB6400-M96 VERSION IRB6400/2.8-120 REF# R6421049001 s4 controller We had the OEM change from Omron plc with hard wired inputs to AB SLC 505 and RIO for all the machine operation all the AB stuff works we cant get the ABB d239 card configured for the robot to see it. card settings Digital Outputs = 96 Digital Inputs = 96 RIO Node Address = Logical Rack 2 (it says you must enter this in Octal form ) "11" RIO Baud Rate = 230kB RIO Start Group = 0 RIO Rack Size = 3/4 RIO last Rack = Yes slot address 0 ibs rack size 1/4 no one at ABB seems familiar with this card tom

Tom the Octal, Hex & Decimal 2 is 2, 11 Octal is 9 Decimal Tom where are you located at? I have several guys around the states that are great on ABB. Several of them are ABB solution partners. I had 20 plus bots on RIO with SLC 5/05. The old school RIO for a new system would not be my choice. I would look at CompactLogix and EIP control. PM me if you need any other work arounds.

Brain fart I just entered in what the oem sent me and didn't even convert it to octal thanks ill try ill try it first thing this morning I am in south east pa We wanted to stay with hardware we stocked the slc and flex io does the EIP talk to the robot directly? I'm just able to load programs in to robot and management keeps buying other equipment with different plc and controllers we cant even keep up tom Edited by tommu56

The EIP I refered to was Ethernet I/P. The SLC don't talk to I/O (which is what a Robot is. In this case) You can almost stop that different system stuff. Sow them the cost of hardware that you have to stock inorder to support the differnt equipment. If that doesn't get thier pocket hard. Find out the cost per hour of lost production, manhour, etc. Then if we don't stock the part it is XXX number of hours before we can get it in house. You don't do your own programming? Do you all just touch up points?

Thanks Jeff the BINARY brain fart took care of the problem along with setting the plc rack size to 3/4 they had us change it to 3/4 from full to see if that fixed it!!!!!!! We don't do any robot programing if we need a point moved we get some one to do it usually the oem. Most all the AB stuff we do in house if we have time. We have 2 abb robots with s4 controllers this is the first retrofit from omron c200he plc's and a propitiatory VB operator interface to slc's and pv+ What I call open system that we can work with. The second will be early next year. I think after this retrofit we might look out side for the next one other than the oem. If you know some one in the SEPA area let me know. We (the tech's and electricians) don't get much in put in to what get purchased because we go through so many people over us they are all ways on a learning curve. Ive installed, moved, and retrofitted 6 printing presses in the last 25 years under all different managers except 2. When we sit own and explain what has to be done and the real time frame they think we are nuts. When their time frame is too short I use the line "you can make a baby in 9 month with one woman but try and do in one month with 9 woman it just don"t work" let alone ask why we want house power all over the machine and welding circuits, until we have a repair and have to run 300ft of extension cord and unhook some thing to tie it in. thanks again tom Edited by tommu56