Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Morten AA

Network advice

5 posts in this topic

Hi We are about to change a factorys old control systems like relays, timers, regulators etc. We have now changed one part, we call that the main part, with a CJ1M plc and one NS10. My question is, should I go for distributed I/O for the rest and make the CJ1M the maín control , or should I use for example several CP1 controllers, and move controls out to the CP1. The communication between the parts is a bit more simple with the distrbuted I/O, altough the possibility for more NS terminals is easy with a CP1. As I se it, the only way of connecting the CJ1M and the CP1 is some serial communication. The ethernet modul for CP1 is as I understand it not a real ethernetmodul, it communications like serial? Right? The system needs to be ready for future SCADA system, again I think the distributed I/O is the way to go Regards Morten

I would probably go for CompoNet is the remote I/O is digital and analogue. Bear in mind that there is not a lot of CompNet stuff avalaible if youy require connection to other devices. Check waht Omron have available and you can check whatever else is available at www.odva.org - mostly from Japan. CompoNet is like a cheaper, faster and I beli9eve better Device Net - it is token ring but only supports one master - great for remote I/O. Some CP1s can have 2 (if I remember correctly) CJ1 cards connected via an expansion system. I would expect Ethernet would be one of them but you would need to check the Omron documantation as I have never had a need to add CJ1 cards to a CP1.

I agree you should go with distributed I/O, couldn't say devicenet or componet but i worked only with devicenet so far. this way you have all process information in the one plc (no need to write some communication with cp1), and you can attach this cj to the ethernet and then you can have several ns devices on the ethernet (i understood you wanted several ns panels). also, later you can connect SCADA on the existing ethernet network.

You can also go for Profinet, with the advantage that you can also put NS terminals at the distributed I/O sites to connect to the master PLC through ethernet. Done two projects now and more coming up. It takes a bit of learning as far as the network configuration but if you are already used to smartslice I/O units you are already half way. See this post from PMCR for a good explanation about the CP1 ethernet units

Hi I know the Componet compact I/O very well and find it very easy to use. We use them a lot in automatic cranes. Good diagnostic possibilities. I is not so important with additional stuff to the network, like regulators, powermeters etc. so Componet will do the job. Only in and output is needed. The Profinet is a great solution, but it is a bit more expensive and maybe overkill to this job. I think we go for the Componet then, thanks for the inputs.