Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ratcliffe_ic

Log data from CompactLogix

5 posts in this topic

I'm looking at a project where I need to record data from a CompactLogix, the client wants the data to transfer into excel. I know I can DDE into excel but I don't want anything homemade, I'd rather buy some package to do this. I can use the ethernet port or the 232 port (preferably the ethernet) I know I'm looking at some kind of SCADA system but I'm after something thats fairly cost effective that other people may have used. (i.e don't just say use RSView) Thanks

I have not used it yet but I will be soon. XLReporter http://www.thereportcompany.com/

Check into Inductive Automation. Their FactorySQL product lets you log nearly anything and everything and is a high end product. It goes into a SQL database. You can connect it to any SQL database of your choosing. Microsoft has a free/limited version of SQL Server that you can use. The name keeps changing or I'd tell you the name. If you want a more powerful and scalable solution, Postgres is one of the best out there and the price is very good (free). I used to recommend MySQL which is also free but since Oracle acquired them, product development has come to a screeching halt. With either one, you can handle massive data...try hundreds of data points logged per second with the ability to service users at the same time. The reports package that Inductive sells is also very good and blows away Excel for doing reporting, which is typically what the end users are really after (they are just used to having to do this by hand in Excel). However, getting the data into Excel is very easy to do. Just use the get data functions in Excel and the end user can easily browse the tables that FactorySQL produces. There are limits on how many users can pull data from the free version of Microsoft SQL (unless you pay for the license fees which are upwards of $10K by the time you buy all the needed licenses) but there are no such limitations in Postgres or MySQL, and those two are lighter in terms of footprints on the server load and have higher performance. You also have the full power of SQL at your disposal so you can enter some very complex querying commands to do any sort of data analysis the customer desires directly on the server. I've set up this kind of basic system before to do direct, real time OEE's over an entire plant without the expense of RSView and it's associated pieces.

you can use this product, it's call excel reporter, it's free for 30 days ... try it and let me know http://www.matrikonanalytics.com/products/excelreporter.aspx Thanks, Wassim Daoud Global Solutions Architect www.MatrikonOPC.com

I have used what Bob O stated, XL reporter on a few projects. It is fairly inexpensive easy to use but you will need an OPC server at the least to server up the data to XL reporter. The best way to go is what Pauleng stated that gives a more longterm solution robust solution.