Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
uglyduct

RSNetWorx for DeviceNet really required?

6 posts in this topic

I have a Compact Logix system and RSLogix5000 Mini (Lite version) software. I have been told I need to purchase “RSNetWorx for DeviceNet” (ABZ 9357-DNETL3 $1,300) in order to use my 1769-SDN device net module. I did not need “RSNetWorx for Ethernet” in order to use ethernet module and wonder why DeviceNet is different. Wanted to confirm that “RSNetWorx for DeviceNet” is truly required before I made purchase. Can someone confirm?

You will need it. I do understand your question as I can't think of a reason why the RSnetworks for Ethernet is used. But, with Devicenet, you'll need it for sure. You can/will use RSlogix5000 to launch the RSnetworks application by clicking into your scanner card. You'll use the other software to set up your data mapping and scan list. Have fun.

RSNetworx for DeviceNet has three important functions: 1. It is the editor for the Scanlist of a DeviceNet scanner like the 1747-SDN, 1756-DNB, or 1769-SDN. The Scanlist is what determines how much data is exchanged, using what connection mechanism, and where in the scanner's memory table it is located. 2. It is a general EDS-based parameter editor for slave devices. To set up the parameters of a programmable overload relay or variable speed drive or photoeye or limit switch or weight scale, RSNetworx is the preferred tool. 3. It is a special-purpose parameter editor for devices that require an applet, like 1794 and 1734 series I/O Adapters. There are two usual reasons you won't need to buy an RSNetworx for DeviceNet license. 1. Your network is smaller than 5 slaves. RSNetworx will run without a license for nodes 0 through 5. You must still obtain the software, either from a friendly A-B distributor or a Starter Kit. 2. Your network consists of slave devices that require little or no configuration, and you can use the Auto-Configuration feature of your scanner to create simple, automatic I/O maps. Examples include small networks using CompactBlock distributed I/O modules. RSNetworx for DeviceNet is frequently bundled with RSLogix packages, but also frequently overlooked when a purchasing agent is selecting the lowest-price package.

You can configure Ethernet devices with separate software (such as drives) or from the web server or via RS-Logix 5000 itself. Thus, RS-Networx for Ethernet might be useful to browse your Ethernet network to check connections counts and bandwidth, but it doesn't serve much of any other purpose. On Controlnet especially (can't set/adjust the NUT and can't schedule), and Devicenet to a degree, you can't configure your devices in many cases without it.

Download link for RXNetWorx Demo. Limited node version http://www.software.rockwell.com/support/download/detail.cfm?ID=2965

While that is an interesting link, I strongly recommend against using it. That version is abandoned on a disused Rockwell Software server and will give you a 2004-era version of RSNetworx for DeviceNet. It's eight years later, and you should use the modern software.