Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
AJ Melb

1747-KE setup for basic DF1 - interface problem

12 posts in this topic

Hi folk, I'm trying to get a Motorola ACE 3640 to talk to an SLC5 processor, and have struck a snag. Configured as a DF1 master, the ACE talks fine to the channel 0 port of an SLC5/05, configured as per the 1st screenshot. However I really need it to talk to the DF1 port of a 1747-KE card, configured as per the 2nd screenshot. Soooo, my question is, what is the difference in configuration between these 2? as I'm scratching my head to find one. Half Duplex, CRC, 19.2k, n, 8, 1, slave addr1, ..... The symptoms I'm seeing is the DF1 light is flashing on the 1747, so its receiving messages. Its also transmitting responses as I can see the incoming data lighting up the receive led on the ACE - just no data sent or received to my sample N9 file, which works perfectly when I use the processor port. The 1747 doesn't require ladder to run does it? As you can see from the screenshots I set it up using a terminal session.

I have not done many DF1 Half Duplex Slave applications with the 1747-KE, so these are educated guesses. When you are connecting directly to the SLC-5/03 controller, the controller itself accepts commands directed to DF1 Node 1. When you are connecting to the 1747-KE where the DF1 side is Node 1 and the DH485 side is also Node 1, the 1747-KE is trying to process those messages instead of passing them on to DH485 Node 1. Try changing the DF1 side of the 1747-KE to Node 3 or 4, so that it can receive messages for Node 1 and pass them on to DH485 Node 1.

I'll try that and report back. I'm guessing then that renumbering the DH485 to 2 or 3, and addressing 1 may also work. Seems a bit weird given there isn't anything connected to the DH485 port. But i've already tried much sillier things :)

Nothing connected to the DH485 port ? Well, that's your problem. I should have seen that at the beginning. 1747-KE does not communicate over the backplane to the controller. It ONLY provides a bridge from DF1 to DH485. The 1747-KE is meant for use with SLC-5/01, /02, and /03 controllers, which have DH485 network ports. You could only use it with an SLC-5/05 in a convoluted way, in which you would set up Channel 0 as DH485 protocol connected to a 1761-NET-AIC.

In addition to the above. A link to the manual if you don't have it. http://literature.rockwellautomation.com/i...um005_-en-p.pdf Edited by Mickey

Thanks for the responses. So this card is basically a KF2 sitting in a PLC rack to draw power /doh! It would have been nice if that was clearer from reading its manual. So its Prosoft or nothing when trying to add extra DF1 or Modbus ports ?

Well, it's essentially a 1770-KF3 in a rack. The 1747-KE Series B version could get its configuration across the backplane too. It was perfectly suited to its original purpose in the SLC-5/02 world. For the SLC family, Prosoft is your principal method for adding DF1 and Modbus ports. There are other methods; the 1747-DPS1/DPS2 port splitters, various serial multiplexers, network gateways, etc. But Prosoft is the first place I turn. Your requirement as I read it is to allow a third party device to read and write data to the SLC-5/05. What is the Channel 0 serial port doing ?

I'm testing/staging on a 5/05. The target hardware is a 5/04 with a Panelview already attached to Channel 0. The Motorola RTU is pretty nice - it natively supports Modbus, DF1, Modbus/IP so you'd think I could find a protocol/port in common :( I DO have a prosoft card - the MVI46-MCM. Its documentation is a bit scanty for slave mode, but I'll persevere.

Prosoft has excellent support. See link below for some sample programs and more. http://www.prosoft-technology.com/content/view/full/135

I'm testing/staging on a 5/05. The target hardware is a 5/04 with a Panelview already attached to Channel 0. The Motorola RTU is pretty nice - it natively supports Modbus, DF1, Modbus/IP so you'd think I could find a protocol/port in common :( I DO have a prosoft card - the MVI46-MCM. Its documentation is a bit scanty for SLAVE mode, but I'll persevere.

Call them, they are very helpful over the phone also.

Well, this explains why I can't get my ASCII data in my SLC 5/4. I was sure when I read the literature on the 1747-KE module it woud do what I needed which is another RS232 port. Feel kinda dumb being that I've been doing this a pretty long time, well, mostly on PLC 5's though. Gonna try the ProSoft MVI46-GSC then...