Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Pulsar2003

1746-BTM and 1746-NT4

3 posts in this topic

I searched for examples of PID on AB's publication library. I found some on a module: Barrel Temperature Control Module 1746-BTM. It's quite similar to the 1746-NT4. I'm wondering if there is a difference between the two? There is also a link to AB's website: http://www.ab.com/appsys/ There are many BTM files to download. Which I did. Extremely interresting. But a headache to study. Is there a difference between the autocalibration that can be run within a scan time and this complex autotune? Thanks. Edited by Pulsar2003

The NT4 only reads thermocouple and mV signals. If you want to use it with PID loops, the PIDs are set up in your ladder program. The BTM reads thermocouples and does the PID loops within the module, not in ladder logic. It also does autotuning, which is not the same as autocalibration. Programming for the BTM is very advanced - definitely not recommended for someone just starting out. As you mentioned, there are some good documents and programming examples available from AB. Scott

Thank you for being straightforward. There is so much to learn.