Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
markn

SLC5/01

7 posts in this topic

Hello Everyone, We have a machine with a SLC 5 plc, the machine is down with CPU Fault light flashing. I can turn on the motor and see input LED lights indicating buttons pressed. But the machine will not cycle, the last time this occurred a local tech reset the CPU. Is there a way that I can do this? As the tech we had used is no longer around. Thanks

You need RSLogix 500 software, at least the "Starter Edition", to get online with any modular SLC-500 controller. The price of this software is around $600, and you need a specific USB/DH485 network interface that is a $350 item. These are 15+ year old controllers. It should be easy to find a controls integration company in your town who has this software and interface; find the closest Rockwell Automation Sales Office and they should be able to give you a handful of names right away.

Hi Ken, Is there any other way to communicate to the SLC, I have an older PC with a serial port. Thanks

As Ken said you need some extra hardware. See link below, scroll down until you see 1747-PIC or the USB to DH485 (1747-UIC) converter. http://www.plctrainer.net/PLCProgrammingCables.htm Edited by Mickey

Hello guys. I want to point out that I made many purchase with plctrainer and I'm extremely satisfied with all the products and the support I've got. Reliable. Therefore, buy with trust. Thanks.

Hi Guys, Thanks for the advice. I was able to find someone local to go online to reset the processor, turns out the OEM had not put and arc suppression on the relay coils and the resulting noise was scrambling the memory on the SLC5.

Thanks for that feedback; I'm glad to hear you got it going and have a reasonable diagnosis about why it got "scrambled". One of the first things I learned about industrial I/O platforms was how inductive loads and relays work, and the requirement for suppression has been in ever Allen-Bradley manual about relay I/O for decades. That's why it amazes me when I talk to OEMs, especially, about arc suppression and they look at me like I'm telling them to bolt kittens to the enclosure. Some have told me that arc suppression will make maintenance more difficult because it means the customer will have to stock more components. Those are the ones I don't let work with scissors.