Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Pulsar2003

RSLinx and Ethernet devices

9 posts in this topic

Hello. I have a 1761-NET-ENI Ser.B FRN 2.31. RSLinx version installed: RSLinx Gateway version: 2.42 Rockwell publication : 1761-UM006E-EN-P august 2005. Cables: 1761-PM02 and Ethernet cable (don't know how you say in English but the one with wires crossed). Problem: Device not recognized. I'm familiar with creating drivers through the Configure driver pop up screen. My version of RSLinx doesn't provide the second example of pop up seen on the page 3-6. I don't have the "Find device" button. On page 3-7 there is a tip for the latest ENI. The link provided doesn't work. There must be a connection between the PC and the ENI because the icon for the ethernet has no X on it when both are connected. Is this an issue where you need a tech connect to obtain help? thank you again.

Your version of RSLinx is about five years out of date. RSLinx Lite is downloadable from the same software update website that all other software is, except that it will not require a support contract or serial number to download it. The current release of RSLinx is version 2.55. If you are getting a question mark in the RSWho browse but NOT a question mark with a red X over it, then all you need to do is register the Electronic Data Sheet (EDS) file for the 1761-NET-ENI Series B. The link in the User Manual does work; some Adobe Reader installations may redirect you to the Adobe security page, but you can always type in the URL. Download this EDS file and save it to your desktop. DO NOT save it to the RSCommon/EDS directory. http://www.ab.com/networks/eds/cgi-bin/det...00C00630200.eds Next run the RSLinx EDS Hardware Installation Tool, Start -> Programs -> Rockwell Software -> RSLinx -> Tools -> EDS Hardware Installation Tool. This will properly place that EDS file into the correct storage directory and register it with Windows. Now you should be able to browse and identify the 1761-NET-ENI Series B device.

All right! I do not have a red question mark but a yellow one (similar to the one we get in Window's device manager). I didn't know that about the Adobe security page. I will also follow your instructions for the download. On AB's forum, when a topic is soled there is an icon that can be shown one the topic/problem is solved. I don't know if it is the case here. Next I will follow the instructions on how to configure the connection between the 1761-NET-ENI and the RS-232 port. I thank you for your help.

Here I am: I was able to remove my older version of RSLinx and replace it by the new downloaded one as RSLinx Classic 2.55. Things went smoothly. I set up the Ethernet device driver but as for the previous version I don't get the auto detect button. I once had taken down the IP address of this device but misplaced it. Is there a way to find it out without any RS software? Thanks.

The simplest way to determine the IP Address of the 1761-NET-ENI module is to connect to it with a 1761-CBL-PM02 serial cable and use the free NET-ENI Configuration utility to upload the configuration. http://www.ab.com/programmablecontrol/plc/.../downloads.html Another way is a non-AB method. Use the popular Wireshark Ethernet protocol analyzer and filter for "arp" packets. Plug the 1761-NET-ENI into the same network switch as your PC and you'll see it sending out ARP packets with the device's MAC ID and IP address in them.

Am I damed or what? I followed the steps as told here. Now I have on my laptop the ENI & ENIW Configuration Utility, Series D (compatible with all series ENI & ENIW) software. I get the software running and all it does is popup a nagging message: Missing an IP address '.' delimiter. NO matter what where I move the mouse or point or click, double click it just keeps popping up. To shut it down I need the Task Manager and even then it causes the popup again. I have to force Windows to shut it down. So I have Windows XP Pro on that computer. I've gone a few times on AB web site but the Knowledge page just remains blank (I'm logged in). So I always end up the 'untitled document' With Internet Explorer or Google Chrome. I did find the IP address in my notes later on. So I've Run RSLinx to set up the driver again. I typed the IP address. Now I can see the tree the 1761-NET-ENI device with the IP address with a huge yellow question mark. The software browses and finds the address (node aaa.bbb.ccc.ddd) and then puts a RED X on top of the question mark: Unrecognized device. Where do I go from here?

From the RA Knowledgebase, document 32354: Error: Missing IP address '.' delimiter when opening NET-ENI utility. The following error occurred when trying to open NET-ENI utility: Error: Missing IP address '.' delimiter This error usually occurs when the Regional and Language Options in the operating system is set to something other than English (United States) There are two ways to solve this issue: Set the Regional and Language Options on the operating system to English (United States) In the Standards and formats press Customize and change the Decimal symbol: to "." Edited by Eddie Willers

The red X indicates that RSLinx is getting no valid response from the IP address you entered. First, be certain the format is correct. While the Net-ENI utility might force you to use leading zeroes, do not do so in RSLinx or your Internet browser; those programs adhere to the standard that leading zeroes in an IP address indicate octal numbering instead of decimal numbering. Verify the IP address of the 1761-NET-ENI using another method: 1. PING the -ENI, then open a command window and issue a "ARP -A" command. Verify that the PING was responded to and that the MAC ID shown by ARP matches the Net-ENI device. 2. Open the Net-ENI's address in a web browser to see the splash page. 3. use TCPING (download from the Internet) to verify that TCP Port 44818 is open on the Net-ENI.

As I said earlier on, I cannot open the Knowledge page one AB's website. Is it legal or authorized by AB to send a file by email? Tks.