Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
rcshete

IEC codes in specification sheets of AB hardware

3 posts in this topic

Hi All We have a "CLIENT" who is asking us whether the specifications of Allen-Bradley hardware (1756-L61, 1756-CN2R, 1756-EN2T,....) related to the EMC compatibility parameters - RADIATED RF IMMUNITY (as per IEC 61000-4-3), EFT/B IMMUNITY ( as per IEC 61000-4-4), SURGE TRANSIENT IMMUNITY ( as per IEC 61000-4-5) and CONDUCTED RF IMMUNITY ( as per IEC 61000-4-6) are actually acceptable as per referred standards and what they should normally be. I have been able to give him a basic understanding on what these parameters are mentioned for, but how can I tell him whether they are within "acceptable limits"? I am having trouble getting any data for this and also IEC publications are not available freely. Please point me to any reference chart for the same (for e.g. it can provide data as: CONDUCTED RF IMMUNITY as per IEC 61000-4-6 < 10Vrms is safe for industrial working space, but maybe it is not suitable for hospitals?). Thanks for any help.

Hi rcshete I dont have a copy of said standards, but I can say this. The mentioned standards are the EMC directives for 'industrial' environments. This is different to the 'office/home' environment of regular CE-marked equipment. In the industrial environment, the equipment is alloved to radiate more electrical noise, on the other hand the equipment is more insensitive to eletrical noise. If a plant is equipped with 'Industrial' CE-marked equipment throughout, and it is installed according to the manufacturers instructions, you have a guarantee that the equipment will function without noise interference with each other. edit: I am certian the Industrial equipment is not safe for hospitals. Edited by JesperMP

You can download the safety certification for the AB hardware here. You will find the EMC test is already included in the certification. You can print out all the relevant certification which proved that this particular A-B hardware already meet all the EMC requirement and show it to your client. I know that sometime some client might be quite demanding on this issue, but I never try to shown them how this particular A-B hardware comply to the IEC standard. This part already done by Rockwell and they already have the cert to prove it. I think what the client really want is just some paper work or document to present to their management that prove A-B hardware is reliable. Edited by Allen Tuh