Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Pulsar2003

NODE

8 posts in this topic

Here is the scenario: Five SLC5/05 on a separate network. As an example I want to monitor the bit: B3:0/0 on each five. HMI tags: B3:0/0 node: 1 B3:0/0 node: 2 B3:0/0 node: 3 B3:0/0 node: 4 B3:0/0 node: 5 Now I can monitor these bits or trigger them on/off via the HMI. If I understand thing well, when I use RSLogix500, in the controller properties I can give the processor a name. Therefore processor one would have 1 as a name. Would it be better to call LC1 as Local Controller 1 and change the node from 1 to LC!? My new tag would be: B3:0/0 node: LC1? Am I correct? Any suggestions?

Your scada package probably wont care about the name your processor calls itself, rather the IP address you give it. If any name is important it's the alias you give the processor in the scada configuration which doesn't have to be the same as the processors project name (but call them the same anyway). Edited by MikeSmith

May I know what type of HMI are you using? As I know Rockwell HMI will not use the PLC name to get the tags from the PLC. In the HMI you need to create a device shortcut that point to the target PLC and you assign a name for the shortcut which later will be use as reference in the HMI tags.

Here is the manual for your reference: http://literature.rockwellautomation.com/i...um006_-en-p.pdf According to the manual you need to give each PLC a node name this node name have nothing to do with the name you assigned to the PLC it is only the name for HMI tag reference. Each name name will corespondent to each PLC with different node number (indicated as Station in HMI). The node for the PLC is assigned during programming in RSLogix 500, so it cannot be change in HMI So if you give a node name LC1 to PLC 1 with node number 1, then in your HMI tag, the reference will be Node name: LC1, Address: B3:0/0. See the node number will no appear in a HMI tag reference because the information is already encapsulated in the node name. Edited by Allen Tuh

Ok. Now if I use a SLC5/04 I can have the HMI communicate through the channel 0 with the DF1 full duplex. There would be no nodes or does the source ID becomes the reference? Then the supervisors PC would be connected with the DH+ (with the baud rate matched) and then I could decide which node address I want. This node would be the one for the tags in the RSView or lets say Visual Basic. And if I were to use the SLC5/05, the HMI could again communicate via the RS232 port Channel 0 DF1 full duplex. I'm not sure what the SOURCE ID is exactly for. When more ovens get updated I can connect them through the Ethernet port through a hub. Then each new tabs will have the IP address specific to each PLC. The PC would by then communicate via ethernet. My laptop is at work so I don't have the software at hand. There won't be that much data, at least I believe. Possibly two timers, the status of a few outputs, the time when START is pressed, if a specific delay is not respected. The last two occures about once every 40 to 60 minutes. There could be a time in the day where the values of timers for a recipe are changed. My other worry is the port settings. I use what I already have has a reference: a PLC connected to a PC with VB. It has 10Mbps Half Duplex forced. Is this a standard? I will also print out the literature you mentioned earlier. Thank you. Edited by Pulsar2003

I'm not sure what is the problem here, maybe you can elaborate some more. Most of the time I'll set the PLC Ethernet port to Auto Negotiate there is no harm to try other Port Setting too.

Sorry if I've been confusing you. You may want to check these other topics of mine: My project, data acquisition. And: Plant ambiant temprature VS Cooling time?, Suggestions? Here is the initial project: Repalce older PLC from an oven and test that the programming works fine with a PV1000e (instead of a series of Omron timers, if there is a FLASH, breif power outrage, the timers reset themselves so the cycles restart even if there was only one second left). Next would be to add features that will allow the administration to obtain production of this oven via a PC. I went with a SLC5/04. In the other topics I was not encouraged to use a 1761-NET-ENI converter to connect from the RS-232 to an independent Ethernet network. The SLC5-05 is more suitable. That is why at first I will make the project with the 1747-L542. The PV1000e will communicate to the PLC via the RS-232 port and the DH+ to the PC with a 1784-KTXD/B communication card. I'm not sure yet if I'll use VB or RSView. I still have the older laptop of the sister company (one produced plastic parts for customers while the other manufactured ovens) with available AB Rockwell software. Afterward, when the finances will allow it, it will be to replace the 1747-L542 to a SLC5/05 family, possibly a 1747-L551 or L552. Therefor I will connect the PV1000e to the RS-232 port (there won't be much data travelling from both devices) and the Ethernet port will be to connect all five ovens to the supervisor's PC (one that will be use only as a HMI to gather data). The reason I've wrote previously about: PLC connected to a PC with VB. It has 10Mbps Half Duplex forced. Is this a standard? It's to gather knowledge for later upgrades. This is an example I have available to me. Yet I was told by an acquaintance that the one who had programmed it had limited if not no skills for such an elaborate project. It's too long of a story to explain. Hopefully I was able to shed some light. Anybody who takes his time to help others is appreciated so I'll do my best to provide the needed information. Thank you. Edited by Pulsar2003