Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Chris Elston

RS-232 40meters?

7 posts in this topic

Personal Message from a Member: I look for a possibility to connect through RS 232 one card reader to a PC. The distance between them is abou 40 meters. I don't want to use a RS 422 adapter. I simply want to know how to increase the distance between the two rs232 devices

How about using a RS-232 Repeater? http://www.pccompci.com/converter/converter3.html

RS232 is normally not reccomended longer than 15 meters, but we made a couple machines running for almost 10 years with RS232 HMI cable about 75 ft (22m). Don't know if longer cable will work. Repeater will be good solution.

In serial communications, there is a direct relationship between baud rate and distance. What baud rate are you using?

There are setups over 100 meters using rs232. There really aren't any true limits. It depends on the environment, the errors you are able to contend with and the baud rate. Go as slow as you can, use good cable, run it with care and check for errors. It can work. Jim Rowell

In my young and foolish days I installed a RS232 link between at C2000H LK203 card running at 19.2k to a NT600M. The RS232 was transmitted down a 5 pair 0.75 BS5308 screened cable to various plug points where the NT600M could be connected. Worked fine out to about 40metres which was the furthest point on the system. must have been lucky or maybe the increase in the cable size helped. Regards Chris

I posted the following on another topic of RS232 - RS485 but it hsould still be relavant...