Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
twitte

RSLOGIX 500 VS MICRO

12 posts in this topic

Hello, I am new to Allen Bradley PLC's and would like to know if anyone has an opinion on what software to use for programming Micrologix controllers (1100/1400). I understand you can use the RSLOGIX 500 and a new RSLOGIX micro. My programming is fairly simple, however, I will be using numerous PID (4-6) loops in my programs. If anyone has any insight into this it would be appreciated. Thank You

The Micro should work just fine. See link below http://literature.rockwellautomation.com/i...pp001_-en-p.pdf

I agree, the Micro will work fine. HOWEVER, I would think down the road. I have not used the Micro software only because everywhere I have ever worked there were more than just micrologix in the plant. The advantage of using RsLogix 500 is that it will also cover the SLC 500 processors. Thus eliminating having to use multiple software packages which we all know are expensive. If you can say you will never ever get anything besides MircroLogix processors, than get the Micro software. Otherwise go for the Logix 500 platform. Just my 2 cents worth.

You can always upgrade later. Plus, the SLC series is on the same support path with the same time frame as the PLC-5. I wouldn't recommend using them for new projects. Take a good look at the capabilities of the Micrologix 1500 and the 1400. Both are quite surprising in what they can do. About my only complaint about the 1500 is the lack of an on-board Ethernet port. The other strangeness with the whole series is that they aren't supposed to do distributed I/O (to push you into using the Compact/ControlLogix line), but they all support Modbus.

I understand that the SLC is going to be phased out, but if it gets phased out like the PLC-5, he/we have a lot more years ahead of us. AB has been going to phase out the PLC-5 for how many years now?

My biggest complaint is the lack of online programming in the 1500. I can handle working through the serial port. I don't want to work on any program of significance without the ability to make changes online. russell

Same story with the PLC-3. But development has slowed to a snail's pace. We've gotten what, sort-of MSG'ing Ethernet/IP added in the last 5 years? The pricing on components keeps going up about 10% a year. A complete ControlLogix system with I/O is cheaper than just the processor for a PLC-5/40E. With CompactLogix, you could get that plus spares and a copy of Logix 5000 (one of the "lite" versions). About the only reason I fought that battle in the last place I worked at is because we already had half a dozen SLC and PLC-5 systems, and the price of Logix 5000 (and a corporate requirement to NOT use CompactLogix) placed it out of reach of all the small projects, until we finally got one big enough to buy all the licenses, training, etc., for ControlLogix. This might be a small plug but by the way, Ron Beaufort is here doing training this week. The electricians are raving about his class. Supposedly the best class they've ever had (and many come with experience from other operations).

Does the Micro do the entire Micrologix series? I briefly installed it the other week and it appeared to only do the 1100 and not the 1400, can someone verify Ron Beaufort is probably the best you can get in training. Check out his videos for a sneak peak http://www.youtube.com/user/RonBeaufort

The one that cost $ ( RSLogix Micro Software) will do all. See link below. The free one (RSLogix Micro Starter Lite) will only do the ML1000 and ML1100. See link below http://literature.rockwellautomation.com/i...pp001_-en-p.pdf http://www.ab.com/programmablecontrol/plc/.../downloads.html Edited by Mickey

Last I looked at the Free micro only does the 1000, & 1100. The micro pay for use does all the Micros. I went to Ron's class after going to several of the big boys. Ron didn't waste a full day of my time and money teaching me how to count. Hands-down Ron is the best. Paul did you get to set in on any of his classes? edit…The Link-Man is way to fast that is what I get for watching Lobstermen & MrPLC. Edited by JAK

Yes. We do course evaluations too. All of them basically said bring Ron back for a second week.

Thanks for the clarification, I didn't realize there was an Micro and a Micro lite