Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
acpi

InTouch 7 - Windows names cross reference

7 posts in this topic

Hi, I'm working with an old SCADA project on InTouch 7.1 and i'm not familiar with this software. There's a lot of windows in this project so i would like to know who is calling who to built a tree-like form. When i do a cross reference with the windows names as filter i get no results. Is there a way to do this with the cross ref utility or is there an other way ? JC

I am not sure about the cross reference function with 7.1 but if your dealing with a limited number of screens navigation buttons should be present that open or close windows to create the tree-like overview of the graphics. If you can find the overview graphic (most systems have one) you can go from there. You will need a developer license to do this.

There is no tree. Intouch uses a flat name space for windows. Actually, all HMI's that I'm aware of use a flat name space except for those that map the window names (and files) onto the underlying directory tree in the operating system so that you can impose an order. The buttons for navigation are completely programmable, and opening a window or subwindow is simply a command, so there is no "tracing" or ordering on those. Cross referencing, filtering, etc., applies to variables, not windows. Doesn't matter which version either. Wonderware is very primitive. It does not even handle multiple instances, windows, or screens. And yes, I'm aware that Xerox invented multiple window graphics systems back in the 1970's. Wonderware is just 30 years behind the times even with the current version (10.1)! Edited by paulengr

Paul is right, wonderware does not have a built in tree like menu. I was just commenting on how people typically setup an overview screen and just buttons to open/close related graphics from it and how you might be able to follow the designers layout of graphics.

I have an overview screen indeed. The problem is that i have more than 130 screens into this application. So each screen calls at least a screen that calls another one that calls etc etc :) so it's not very easy to built a tree like form. To be honnest i don't know a SCADA software which has this feature but as im a little bit lazzy i hoped i could do the job without effort :) JC Edited by acpi

Go to the application directory and find a file *.ndx. Open it with notepad and you should see all the windows available to the application and their respective win00x.* names. Hope this helps, Chris.

Unfortunately, this is one of the very annoying problems with Wonderware. It doesn't easily support "generic" screen or graphics objects (except in the new System Platform version), so you can't simply link objects or set up some sort of template system. Instead, it forces you to copy and paste the same objects or screens over and over. The result is that even very small Wonderware applications typically have dozens of screens, and project management and modifications becomes a major headache. It is possible to get around this limitation with some clever scripting, but most Wonderware programmers just copy and paste.