Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
zeratul

Siemens S7

5 posts in this topic

Hi I've been working on AB PLC's for years and now I am trying to learn siemens S7. I am trying to understand what does FB10 do?? The help menu and the block description do not explain what it does . Does FB10 have to be included in ever program?? I have two refference files and both have it, but when i open the block i see no logic in it. Thanks in advance

Hi zeratul. Does it say "the block is protected" when you try to open FB10 ? If so, it is because it has been locked by the original programmer. This is called "know-how protect". You may get an idea of what the FB10 block does by the symbolic name and maybe the parameters.

Yes It does.. I got confused because it didn't have the yellow triangle in the symatic manager. Tt sucks man, I am not used to using blocks with understanding them 100 %. This kinda reminds me of PILZ. Thanks for you reply though

Lets get this clear, is it a standard Siemens Block? I'm not sure I've heard of a Siemens FB10, but there maybe. Usually the Siemens standards are SFC or SFB type block's, there are some FB ones though, I'm sure. Any Siemens standard block will be protected, as they protect their code , they do supply block descriptions to inform you how the code works. If it is not a Siemens block, but a third party block (more likely), then it appears the they have decided that no-one should look at their code. For info, you can do similar things with ControlLogix routines.

FB in Siemens is similar to Add-On Instruction is AB logix series. In add-on you have Parameter and localtag, in FB you'll found instance data block attached to. FB can be call many time in the program, like Add-on instruction. Add-On instruction and Fb can be write protect. If you want, post the code (or the FB) we will verify if it's a Siemens code. wish I help...