Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Mac

Panelview Plus 1000 protected screens

9 posts in this topic

Hi guys. I have a question about downloading an .apa file that has users assigned with passwords to specific pages. I'm using Factory Talk Studio ver 5.00 cpr9 but the original installer used ver 3.20 or earlier. I have the original .apa file and i want to make some changes to the screens. When I open th application and check the Runtime Security page I see that in the "ME Runtime 3.20 or ealier " tab there are 10 or so people (Account ID) with passwords... My question is will those Account ID's and passwords go with the .mer file when I download my changes or am I gonna have to go into my system and add them to my user groups? This is the 3rd different way I've seen passwords used for pages in a PV+ and I don't work on them very much... It's a little frustrating...I still like the way panelbuilder used to do it LOL. Any help would be great P.S. When I test the application and try to login when the screen comes up on my laptop I get an error "insuffient rights"

I have Studio version 4.0 and have not upgraded to 5.0 yet. I still have several programs written in version 3. Passwords and Security changed in a major way from 3 to 4. My work around has always been to compile and save as v3 even when using v4 software. Don't know if v5 will do a save as or compile as v3, but that would be my recommend if it can do it.

Thanks for the quick reply. Ver 5.0 will let you download as an earlier version (3.20 or earlier) but I'm not sure that will solve the password situation! If these users and passwords are in the Runtime Security Tab (ME Runtime 3.20 and earlier) will it be as simple as just downloading as an earlier version? It would really suck if I download the changes and nobody can get to these protected screens. I'm sure I'll get this stuff just in time for Rockwell to change it all again LOL. Thanks for the help

I'm still looking for help on this. If anyone has any input I would really appreciate it.

If you view your user accounts, you will have your 10 users in rsview 3.x accounts. If you click-on set-up on the top menu, you have an option Migrate 3.x user accounts. This will transfer all the accounts into V4 format.

Thanks for the advice but I'm not looking to change these accounts to a newer version I just want to know if they will be downloaded along with the changes I am making to the screens. If I can be more specific please offer any suggestions.

If the developer included a go to config mode button, you could create a new .mer file with a different name, then send that to the terminal. Select not to run application when it downloads so as not to make it the default application. You can then shutdown your application, load and run the new apllication and give that a test run and check your passwords are ok, you could do this before you make any mods to check that your 3.2 application from v5.0 software will be OK. You can then easily return to your original app. if problems are encountered.

If you choose to compile your runtime in version 3.10 or earlier all the user accounts setting in the Runtime Security remain unchanged even you do some modification to your project file, so don't worry just go ahead with your download. However if you choose to compile your runtime in version 4 or later all the previous user accounts setting in the Runtime Security are ingonred and you need to create new user accounts under the "ME Runtime 4.00 and later tab"

Thanks Allen. That was the answer I was looking for. I appreciate the help.