Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Alcoa Tech

Ethernet Issue

7 posts in this topic

I have a ControlLogix processor with an ethernet bridge. The bridge feeds a switch which feeds a PanelView+ and an ethernet to serial wireless converter. The wireless converter sends out a signal to five receivers connected to five CompactLogix (L32E's). This system has worked fine for about a year and a half but now I have an issue. The ethernet bridge which normally alternates between displaying "OK" and scrolling the IP address to only displaying "OK". When this happens my processor stops communicating with all other devices. The PanelView+ values show question marks and the five other devices stop with communication faults. I have replaced the ethernet bridge but still get the same issue. The problem is intermittent without a set time interval or machine function. Does anyone have any ideas? Thanks, Mike

Some questions to get us going in the right direction You have a 1756-ENEt, 1756-ENBT, 1756-EWEB or what card? What firmware Revision is the Ethernet Card? Is the card configured for BootP, DHCP or Static IP? Is either the switch port or the Controllogix Ethernet Bridge set for Autonegotiate?

I have a 1756-ENBT/A, Static IP and not configured for Autonegotiate. I appreciate any help you could give. Thanks, Mike

Just to be certain - What is the Firmware revision of the 1756-ENBT/A ? Your ENBT and Your switch are both at matching fixed speed and duplex settings?

Are you able to ping the remote devices over the wireless network? I would start here. Is it feasible to link the devices physically as a testing measure? Does the PV+ communicate with all 5 of the L32's, or just the 1756 CPU? Can you setup the PV+ to point to 1 of the L32's to see if this changes things. Whilst there are 'known' issues with certain firmware revisions, I would start with the wireless....

The fact that the 1756-ENBT ceases to scroll the IP address display is my principal concern. I think that indicates a module failure of some kind. The first two things I would do is check (and upgrade) the firmware of the 1756-ENBT and check the backplane chips of all the ControlLogix family modules to eliminate the "Atmel 64" issue as a possible cause. Does this failure happen after a predictable period of time (a day, a week, a month, three months, two years ?) How often do you estimate it happens ? When the failure happens, can you communicate with the 1756-ENBT using RSLinx ? A web browser ? The PING command ? I am curious about what you mean, specifically, that the "other devices stop with communication faults". Are the CompactLogix devices actually connected to the wireless system via their serial ports, or their Ethernet ports ? What exact make and model is this wireless equipment ?

This doesn't have a predictable period of time, it may happen twice in an 8 hour shift and not happen at all the next two shifts. I have only gotten to see it once on my shift and had to start it cycle the power immediately to avoid an environmental incident. Once I cycle the power we start communicating again. The problem is on an etch line and if parts are in the tank too long we have fuming issues. I will have a chance to troubleshoot it if the problem occurs with the parts out of the tanks. If the parts are in I have to cycle the power right away. That's why I tried changing the card instead of troubleshooting the problem, I usually don't have time to check anything out. I keep my laptop on hand to ping devices and look for other issues but it doesn't happen often enough on my shift. What I mean by the other devices stop with faults is the five remote cars which have CompactLogix processors are configured to stop moving with a communication fault if they lose contact with the master. When the issue happens the five cars stop which is what they are supposed to do but it puts us in a position of possible fuming. I will gather as much information as I can and post it. This system has run around the clock for more than a year without a single communication issue until about a week ago. Thanks, Mike