Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
howdy do

Barcode Reader and MicroLogix1100

10 posts in this topic

Hey guys, can you help me with this issue? I have a microscan ethernet ready scanner and i am trying to get it to talk to a micrologix 1100. I set up a mininetwork in my office to do this. I want to be able to read a code see if it matches a stored code and throw an output if it doesnt match. I was told that it is possible to have the scanner read a code and send it to the plc for "EQUAL" or "NOTEQUAL" comparison. Im using the free version of RSlogix Micro, I am able to connect to the plc load and download no issuses there, I just dont know how to go about using "MSG" and what ports to use and how it is done. I am completely new to this and the manuals are of no use...very vague. If anyone has any info it would be much appriciated! Thanks in advance. Ethan

Your best information will come from Microscan. For the 1100 to interrogate the scanner it has to be able to respond to Ethernet IP (that's "Industrial Protocol" not "Internet Protocol"). Ask Microscan for a sample of a program for the 1100. Though usually a scanner will be the originator (perhaps after some enabling event) of the message to your PLC. Another possibility, is to use a digital output from the scanner if that is available. Though there would probably be two lines, one indicating that a scan was made and another to indicate the result of the equality test.

Thankyou. I did get some info from microscan but it is not very helpful and they are using some other plc and program. Which, between the 2 ways you described is the better, and how do i do it? Does anyone know where i can find some info on using a scanner with these types of plcs? Or actually, a more indepth description of how to use message control, maybe I can figure out the rest on my own. Any info would be much appriciated. Ethan

Ethan post what Microscan gave you this may help us help you

OK, here is the pdf of what they sent me I added it as an attachment. See if you guys are able adjust the instructions to be used with the 1100. Ethan QX_EtherNetIP_to_PLC.pdf
1 person likes this

Short on time sorry for the short reply. As far as I know the MLX 1100 doesn't support EIP only PCCC or CSP I forget which one. I am working with a company that has a bridge that is coming out at the month to do just this type of thing.

And another caveat..... We just integrated (10) Microscan QX-830 Ethernet scanners to a Compact Logix. I used the Microscan document that you posted. It works just as they show it in the document. You will notice on the last page of the document (in the blue highlighted box), that the ASCII characters come in broken up into each individual character, and in NUMERICAL value. You only see ASCII character if you toggle the TAG monitor to display ASCII. NET RESULT: We had to overcome two minor hurdles. One - Convert each numerical value into a true ASCII character Two - Get the segmented characters into one contiguous ASCII string. (for subsequent compare to static strings) I spent one whole day on it, and came up with a robust solution to convert, and concantenate. (It did require creating a static ASCII look-up table in the controller). We are successfull with our integration. PM me if you would like a word.doc of what we did in RS Logix 5000. If you get over the initial Ethernet issue.

MLX 1100 supports Ethernet/IP. But it only supports encapsulated DF-1 packets over Ethernet/IP, and a very small number of UCMM commands.

OK Paul what is UCMM?

Unless I am mistaken in this context UCMM refers to UnConnected Message Manager. In the DeviceNet, ControlNet, EthernetIP Open Standards which spawned EIP there is a concept of Connected versus UnConnected communication between any two devices. The UCMM handles the handshake and passing of information between two devices which are not in fixed timed communicaton. Paul will post a much better response soon I am sure.