Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Goody

Problem with c200 motion controller

12 posts in this topic

I have posted this on plcs.net too - only in the hope that some good omron boys look in :) I am a complete newbie with Omron plc’s. I have the software and leads (bought for another project but never used) but last week I was dragged /coerced into someone else’s job because I had the software. Now of course, the job is mine - all the other technicians, know-alls have gladly disappeared into the woodwork. And I too now am feeling well out of my depth. The problem was that the machine kept stopping for no reason ( a servo motor stopped abruptly and caused problems) it transpired that a red flashing led on the cpu was causing this. The plc is a SYSMAC CS1G with a CPU 42H and in slot 6 is a motion controller C200HW-MC402-E. I auto connected to the plc and all went well. Then during running the machine the fault appeared again and in the error log I read that the fault was 0300 - which read; An error occurred in a data exchange between the CPU Unit and a Special I/O Unit. Cycling the power reset the fault and the machine runs again. (Albeit with intermittent faults) I tried re-seating and cleaning the pins on the motion control unit but the fault still persisted intermittently. - So the customer bought a new one (cripes £2200) I plugged this into the rack and it would not work. I then realised that this unit needs a program in it *(I think) The 1 sheet that came with the unit said I needed the software ‘motion perfect 2' which I have acquired (but no lead) So my dear omron experts - how do I get the program out of the old MC and into the new? Or have you other suggestions where I have gone wrong. My reputation is hanging on a thread between hero and zero here

Goody, Attached manual for unit in question, sorry I dont have time just now to go through with you, but I suspect you are correct and that you need to download the motion program to the unit. But if the problem was only intermittent, then the original unit is probably ok, then the problem is elsewhere in the system? From the look of the error codes & messages that you have posted, there is corrupted data being sent to the MC? Are you in a position to identify if there have been any changes to the system code/structure? Do you have a version of the code before any changes were made? Most of the manuals normally refer to the memory areas that are dedicated/exchanged with the CPU unit, this may help to isolate what is being sent/received, and where the problems may be? Motion Perfect, as far as I am aware, is a trio package that is re-badged to for certain Omron motion controllers. Sorry I cannot be of anymore help just now... W903_E2_02_C200HW_MC402_Operation_Manual.pdf

Thanks lostcontrol for your initial help :) I can say with almost certainty that no one has altered anything. When they have had problems before, they have had to have a man from Italy come over (UK) So realistically, I have to say that nothing has been altered or touched at all. My main concern (although I do realise it might not cure the problem) is the method of taking the program out of the MC unit and putting it in the new one. As I say I am a complete starter with Omron - so the error codes do not mean a lot to me or how to narrow them down to the actual problem with the data exchange. I have read and re- read everything I can - including the manual you posted (ty) I thought about putting the MC in a spare slot (7 is free) but dare not as I dont know how to update the I/O table any other suggestions or help with reprogramming the new unit will be extremely helpful. I shal be making a programming cable for the MC tomorrow Thanks again Goody

Hi Goody The MC402, although sitting in the rack, is essentially a stand-alone controller. Once you've got your hands on the cable (available from Omron), you'll "Connect" (MP terminology), and it will prompt you to "Save" (upload) or "Load" (download). Choose wisely, here. The project will be a folder (MyName) with MyName.prj within, plus a *.bas file for each of the programs (tasks) within, too. When replacing the unit, change the "Machine Number" to match the old one. Re-connect to the new one, and when connecting, you'll be prompted to Save or load again. It's noteworthy that the memory area (variables) won't necessarily transport to the new controller. There's an option to add the current VRs (variables) to a STARTUP progrsam which will re-populate the memory are as per the old controller. We'd need to investigate if you need to do that. The OEM may well have snapshotted the VRs, into STARTUP, so will be transparent to you. Where's the end-user? Regards, Pp

Hi, I am not sure that the motion controller is faulty. It is possible that there is a 'bug' with the PLC program which is trying to write an invalid write to the motion controller - perhaps this happens in certain conditions which were not detected during original commissioning. Data exchange between the PLC-CPU and the MC unit must be performed correctly, and it is possible to 'crash' the PLC or an SIOU (eg error 300) if the program does not conform. In my experience, this type of error is a 'program' problem, not hardware. - although since you have new hardware it may be easiest to try that first at this stage. Nibroc Edited by Nibroc

Thank you for your answers - I am trying to sift through the information. This machine has been running for a few years without any problems. I realise there could be commisioning problems that were missed but I don't suspect this. I dont know the machine, last week was the first time i ever saw it and I am last in a long line of people called to deal with it. This was because I was the only one with CX-ONE At the point I got to it - everyone was convinced it was a servo motor problem that was then making the cpu red led flash. I determined that the red led flashed first, then the servo stopped. At this point I connected to the plc and saw the 0300 error. The problem was happening every 5 minutes and making the machine totally un-runnable. I carefully cleaned the connecting pins and of course it then ran longer giving me false hope. (you know, just when you think you have cured it, it happens again) The servo motors run constantly - just varying in speed as the thickness of the material passes through it I said I needed a new MC to check that it is not that - only later after they had ordered it, did I find out it was £2200. That price makes this serious now - because if it is not that, I am going to like a right 'tit' Not only that, as I have said, I didnt realise that the new MC needed a program downloaded into it. So this small job where I popped over to have a look at the program has spiralled somewhat with my neck now on the block. Today I am making a programming cable for the MC and going to try to put the old program in the new MC (even that part reads as very daunting) but I am at the stage of 'lets see what happens' any thing else anyone can suggest would be of great help (as you have all been already)

Any luck uploading the "basic" program from the old MC? I read up on this a bit, but have never used a MC card before. I am sure you have found in the manual that the memory area assigned to this card should start at 2000.00 + Unit Number. Also, in the ladder you may find instuctions IORD and IOWR. If present, these can be used to exchange data with the MC. Some other things you could check in CXP are Settings - Unit settings (rack response time) and Settings - Peripheral Service.

Ok, so I made a new programming lead - me being predominantly a mitsi man, I used 2 mitsi/beijers HMI leads chopped in half to get the right ends - lol. Then the scary bit - on site with a lead with 'tape' in the middle and software I have never used before. And of course everyone and his dog wanted to come see this. 'The clever man with a laptop was gonna fix their machine' So amidst an expectant crowd, I connected my (now I thought) shabby lead to the old MC and booted up the program Motion Perfect 2. This software automatically tries to connect to the motion controller but as I hadnt (because I didnt know) set it up for a serial connection, It tried to connect by ethernet and failed. No one could see my screen and there I was waiting to see if it tried any other methods to connect - and it didnt. Anyway, I went to the connection page and quicky installed the serial driver (that was nice seeing that in the options to install) and tried reconnect. I can't tell you how good it felt to see it had connected and named the controller correctly. I then tried to upload the program from the MC and it told me I couldnt because the controller was running - 'do I want to stop the controller' - er no, but I dont have a choice here :) I stopped it and uploded successfully. I swapped out the old for new controller, connected and successfully downloaded the program. Job done you'd think I couldnt get the new MC to start. I pressed plenty of buttons in the program but nothing seemed to make the drives run. Luckily, a power cycle made it run. I watched it for an hour and it ran perfect (but what is an hour) and that is how we are left. If I have heard nothing from them by the weekend, I am calling it mended. If I do here, I might be back here for more help Thank you all for now.

Just for future reference for anyone else having the same problem, it has worked perfectly now 10 days (2 shifts per day) They have paid me and are delighted with my services (they don't know how scared I was :) ) I will never know absolutely the true cause - was it a faulty unit - did the pins on the new unit make better contact, I don't know. But one day someone with the same problem might come here and read this topic and it help them Thanks guys

One can only assume that it was a dud card from your report. I can tell you I have used Mitsi's, Siemens, AB, Hitachi, Toshiba, AD, Wago, Modicon and a few others over the years. Give me Omron anytime due to the great function set (common in the CS1, CJ1 and CP1) and the excellent software. I am about to embark on a project with the Schneieder M340 and Unty 4. Just bought the software (man than is expensive) I dislike Unity immensely!

I have only used Omron CX one a few times before - and that was mainly for fault finding on someone elses logic but I have always thought it was very nice software. I did make a mental note to sit down and learn 'omron speak' one day but in reality I suppose we only teach ourselves the software we need to use reguarly. I have been on the lookout for a spare omron plc to do my practicing on.