Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
blueheeler

ML1100 PLS Function

7 posts in this topic

I plan on using a ML100 and a 360ppr quadrature encoder to turn a material feeded on and off based on the position of the shaft on a punch press. Does anyone have a basic example similar to this application that usea the PLS Function and can be posted? I do not have a tech support contract and cannot get the answer I need from the knowledgebase. Thanks for any help you can provide.

The information and example in the Micrologix 1100 Instruction Set Manual seems fairly thorough. Write a simple operation with just the encoder hooked up. Have the PLS file set to turn on outputs on the unit and watch the response.

Thanks for the link. It looks simple enough, but to me a simple working example is sometimes worth more than an instruction manual. I always read the instructions when everything else fails to work.

And I'm exactly the opposite. My co-workers criticize me when I spend a day or two virtually memorizing the manual before touching the hardware or software.

I had no trouble setting up the HSC in mode 7 so that it would increment the acc.. But I don't understand the PLS function and I have not been able to turn on the outputs at the HIP values. What I am trying to do is setup 3 windows based on the shaft position as shown below: 45 to 180 degrees Turn material feeder on and off with an output bit of the controller 200 to 260 degrees Check to see if part ejects with Photo eye. I can use an internal bit for this and top stop the press. 330 to 360 degrees Check for jammed part with photo eye. I can use internal bit for this and top stop the press. I don't understand which bits turn on at the HIP values or I don't have them set correctly. Thanks for any help that you can give me.

Do you understand that there is a seperate file, the PLS file, which controls the PLS action. Have you read the section in the manual starting at page 122 (latest download version) You must set bits in the HSC.OMB word to allow the PLS to affect outputs The HIP will be set to 360. This is to detect the end of a cycle and to reset back to zero. Edited by b_carlton

I'm still having a problem with the PLS setting the outputs. I was able to obtain a copy of the example in the knowledgebase which was written for a 1500. I changed the processor to a ML1100 and the output mask HSC.OMB to account for the difference in the outputs and it still will not work. Since I don't have suuport, I went thru my distributor and a tech rep is currently working on the problem. I still haven't talked to anyone that has actually used the PLS function. If I can't get the PLS function to work correctly, I plan on using a GRT statement followed by a LES statement to create the windows that I need. The shaft moves approximately 1 degree every 2 msec. I was wondering what kind of inaccuracy I can expect due to the scan time of the ML1100 running a small program. The feeder is air operated and has a mechanical stop, so I believe I can live with a few degrees inaccuracy. Thanks for the help you have given me.