Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
graemeian

How does Omron compare to others?

12 posts in this topic

I am currently using Omron controllers. I am relatively new to PLCs again. Are Omron PLCs comparable to other brands? Do they lack some properties that the other PLCs have? Thank you. Doug

The answers to your questions are relative. A strong AB person would say use AB etc with many brands. You ask the question in the Omron forum - most of us are Omron nuts and really do not want to use anything else but do due to commercial considerations. Bear in mind ALL brands of PLC have good and bad points.

Bob has a good point. As for me, my only other exposure is to AB and I find it hard to use. AB has different software for different controller platforms, Omron has CXOne. However, it seems there are more AB users than any other brand here in the US so there seems to be more support and compatable devices for it. Again, I think I do not use AB enough to learn how to use everything, but I have not had much trouble teaching myself how to use CXOne and Omron devices. Just my 2 cents.

You did not specify the PLC class and the comparison criteria. There is no such thing as just the best PLC, like there is no the best tool, vehicle, weapon, woman, etc. Edited by Sergei Troizky

My 2Cents worth, admitedly from one of those "Omron nuts" Yes I think the Omron software is a key component in the decision, which generaly I find very good and very easy (OK, OK Bob - a few gripes ) As Sergei points out, there is a big range of PLCs, but another plus with Omron is they share the same intruction set and memory style rather than having to relearn and reprogram when you upscale! What I like is not just a range of PLCs, but one of the bigger brands than can offer all HMI, IPC, drives, sensors, temperature controllers - all from the same company so no compatibility issues or caught between vendors. And lastly, their support is free (and good !!) Bertie.

As someone who has encountered most of the major brands at one time or another (and I was weaned on Siemens S5 and Mitsi F series). I've recently been using omron more and more. I find the software excellent to use, it's very much pick up and play. The tech support is fantastic, when I've had to phone them I find they will do their utmost to help you and are willing to investigate your application rather than just "make a sale". For me, this is a great plus point!. Finally and more importantly!....PRICE I find they are excellently priced, and very flexible when it comes to discounting (unlike some manufacturers!). All in all, I think Omron is a great brand and they have an excellent range, I just wish they had the brand recognition of the "big boys". I find customers will ONLY specify brand x, or y, or z...."because that's what they use". Even when a superior product can be bought for the same price.... It's horses for courses really.

And i to must agree with that! they have helped me out quite a few times when i have got stuck with little issues! I also do abit of Mitsi programming which is good but i'd much rather use Omron.

OMRON documentation is good, communication protocols are open and you can easily develop your own PC software. You can make a PC-PLC connection cable by your own, it is possible to use 9 pin D-Sub connector and all pinouts are documented. In many PLC brands, you pay for PLC and also make extra payments for cables, communication tools, software etc. OMRON is relatively cheap, and it is possible to make your own software and cables if you want.

I have a few years AB experience. My opininon is that is is extremely easy to program (graphically, easy to make rungs, navigate, etc.). I have even less Mitsubishi experience: but from the work I did GX developer, it seemed a bit archaic, hard to program, write rungs, etc. I just started with Omron. I haven't done enough to form an inteligent opinion. But it seems easier to program than Mitsubishi. I want to start my own business one day. I'd like to build small workcells and simple semi-automaitic equipment, quality inspection station with camera's, etc. I have zero experience with Seimens. I don't even know that I spelled it correctly :) I'd like to be versitile in my career with PLC's, but I'm afraid of the cost and time I need to invest in Seimens PLC and software. Can somone comment on that?? I love this stuff (PLC programming). . . . I just want to make sure I'm headed in the right direction as it relates to market demand. I purchased CX one light recently in an attempt to learn Omron PLC programming. I also purchased a CP1L and a servo system with and NV HMI. I'm slowly learning it. I have TONS of things I want to learn how to do: Interface with Mcrsft. Excel (DDE or OLE) write to Excell from DM registry and read FROM Excel TO DM registry, etc. . . . Ethernet communication, etc. . . I'm excited. . . . but again, I want to make sure I'm in-line with the market demand by making Omron my main PLC programming concentration. I would appreciate any advice/ comments. thanks

Summertime revival :) Earlier, I used to do troubleshooting on systems based on Siemens S5 and S7, various generations of ABB, Bailey controls and even a very old AB plc. Never got particularly friendly with the S5, but our Siemens guys could make some rather advanced programs. I liked the S7 way better, but my favorite were the ABB systems. Now, I teach the basics of PLC-programming based on a variety of Omron equipment. For that purpose, and as a machine controller it is very good, but process control with analog signals is a bit more tedious to implement in Omron than ABB. The ABB systems I used to work with are a lot more expensive though...