Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
chris_85

Connecting Micrologix 1100 to an Access database?

4 posts in this topic

Hello! I am pretty new to PLCs and I am doing a small project for my class. I am making an LED turn On/Off using the force function and I need to send the results in terms of 1's and 0's to an MSOffice Access database through the RS232 cable. I have the basic RSLogix500 7.0 version and the RSLinx Lite version. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Thanks..

You could do a DDE connection to RSLinx from Access and write code to append the data to a data table every time the data changes. Or, you could donwload the KEPServerEX5 demo, which runs for 2 hours at a time and is full functioning, created a project that talks to the Micrologix via DF1 and then create a DataLogger configuration, datalogger is a server plug-in, and configure it to log the changing data to a table. No code is require for that. Edited by Tech Fred

To use DDE or OPC, you need a higher version of RSLinx. Lite will not work.

If you're familiar with VB.NET programming(I'm more of a VB6 guy myself, but I managed to make it work), you can use this control: http://sourceforge.net/projects/advancedhmi/ [i think that's the right package, the video below should clarify] ...in VB Express(free!): http://www.microsoft.com/express/download/ Here's a quick tutorial: He's using a SLC 5/04, but I used the same process with a MicroLogix 1200. This works WITHOUT RSLinx or RSLogix. In fact, if an RSLinx DF1 driver is using the comm port, this won't work. It is quite possible to use the VB program to poll the PLC at specified intervals and write the information to an Access DB. Unfortunately, the test project I created is saved on the computer at the plant, which is now closed.