Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
stickman47

Ethernet Communication Setup

6 posts in this topic

Gents, We are receiving more equipment (ML1400 & 1200) that require the EHT-1 Driver. In the past we only had one device that used ETH-1, a 5000 system, that we were instructed to change the TCP/IP address in our PC manually and then we could communicate through RSLogix5000. Since we now have 4 different systems it is becoming triesome to keep having to change the TCP/IP everytime we need to access a PLC, and then change it back to go back to the company network. I would think that RSLinx would be "smart" enough to by-pass all this through the EHT-1 driver configuration but is doesn't, unless I am doing something wrong (probably). I have not come across a manual the CLEARLY describes the set up necessary to use the ETH-1 driver, is there such a thing? Should I be setting up a driver for each of my systems?

If using DHCP then when setting up your I/P settings note the "Alternate" tab. Clicking this allows you to enter more I/P setting if your computer does not get a DHCP response. If using fixed I/P then using the "Advanced" button you can enter more than one I/P setup.

Is there any reason you don't put IP addresses that are on your company domain in the processors? Then you could even put them on the network. We request the vendors use the IP addresses we supply for any new equipment. Some times we don't succeed with the vendor and just do serial as I say. tom

I use an USB/Ethernet adapter to set up a separate network to communicate with PLCs. It is a cheap (less than $30) solution and you don't have to worry about any IT interference.

+1 Having a separate network is a sound plan...unless you have really strong support from IT, which tends to be less common.

When communicating with the ML's I don't need to change any computer settings as these devices both use 192.168 as the first octets. My problem child is an A/B 5000 that was programmed in Italy. The Ethernet card is set to 120.0.0.0. This is an uncommon protocol and I am looking in to changing it to a 192.168. The company network is 10.120 and will pick up automatically when plugged in.