Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
waterboy

PanelView over ethernet

14 posts in this topic

Let me start by saying that this is my first Panelview project and I just looked the the manual for the first time. So, if the question is dumb, my apologies. I'm not even yet sure which questions to ask yet but here goes. Our existing PV600's (that I have never touched) all communicate by DH+. I have a new PV1000 with ethernet port. I was under the impression that once I figured out how to address tags in the PV that it would be able to get its data from the PLC using "ethernet" without additional hardware/software/drivers. After a brief read I am no longer sure of that. I see in the manual that there is an eth-1 driver built into the PV. Our SCADA uses OPC through RSLinx to communicate with the PLC's . How does the PV communicate to a PLC over ethernet without having RSLinx on it?

During the setup in Panelbuilder the target PLC will be specified. If it is there the Panelview will be able to talk to it, either by having the appropriate protocol already in the panel or by Panelbuilder sending the protocol to it. It doesn't need RSLinx to operate. Don't worry about what your SCADA system uses. That's a whole other link. Edited by b_carlton

Ahh, so PanelBuilder32 will be where thats configured, that makes some sense. Is OPC a protocol that it can send? If not will I have to use some other type of addressing, i.e. to the register level?

You set up tag names which are linked to the register level addresses. (By the way the tag names can't contain spaces, use underscores.) Just try one and send it to the panel. You'll get the idea quickly. Meanwhile get - http://literature.rockwellautomation.com/i...qs002_-en-p.pdf and - http://literature.rockwellautomation.com/i...gr003_-en-p.pdf and - http://literature.rockwellautomation.com/i...qs003_-en-p.pdf

Got it. I havent even established a download yet (host error of some type) but thanks for the help. I will read on. BTW whats the diff between a PV and a PV+ ?

The Panelview is a dedicated terminal with limited capability when compared to the Panelview+ which is more like a WindowsCE computer with a dedicated terminal application. The programming package for the PanelviewPlus is also much more involved but also has much more capability. If connecting to the 'Logix' type famile (Control, Compact, Flex) the the 'Plus' is the way to go.

Hmmm this is a Plus...

OK it was dumb, panelview32 wont talk to a Panelview Plus, I need the new version of RSView Studio to do that. Sorry for the dumb question.

You need Factory Talk Studio, Machine Edition, or at least that is what I use. The PV+ uses RSLinx enterprise, which is onboard the PV+. You can also add OPC IO Servers I believe, such as Kepware. The PV+ is a nice terminal, with some good features, and some irritating 'features' as well. Give some careful thought to the size of your application, since these units run Windows CE, they are susceptible to windows memory issues. There is tech-notes on this, and it is mentioned in the manuals, but is a lot harder to determine this when developing, as opposed to a production environment.

This PV+ doesn't run CE. At least it doesn't show any indication that it does, I'm an IT guy and I'm pretty sure I would have noticed that. It looks like an embeddedOS other than windows. I was considering buying the RSTrainer package with Factory Talk Studio View Machine Edition (who names these things!!), anyone have any feedback on whether the RStrainer is worth buying and what it would cost in addition to Studio? Another revelation is that this Panelview device appears to be its own standalone SCADA, not dependent on anything else, with its own database and drivers etc. I was expecting that it would act as a view node to an existing SCADA so I am starting to see the light now.

This is not a revelation. To simplify it for an IT guy, the pV+ is a touchscreen device. Almost all of the touchscreen devices that I know of are not view nodes, and cannot be linked together. An industrial PC with touch display is a different matter however. The PV+ can log to a network location though, but I suspect the point limitations are still an issue on this. Automation is a completely separate field to IT, the advance's in ethernet & SCADA technologies have made the 2 a lot more closely aligned, but you will still find that it is most peoples preferred practice to keep automation separate from IT, for numerous reasons. Some companies allow this, some do not, there are numerous posts about 'corporate policies', and how to integrate them into automation.

IT is not as separate as you might think. with historical data logging to server farms, cross domain networking and security concerns, IT knowledge is certainly needed on the automation side. IT can certainly get in the way with their overreaching security policies, so its good having the IT background to discover the issue and straighten them out when they get in the way.

My intention here was to highlight the need to have the 2 managed my their own skill sets, with interaction when required. I have heard of numerous occassions where corporate IT fiddle, or change things without the appropriate notification etc, and things stop working...

amen to that. thanks for the feedback.