Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
stickman47

Mega Disaster!

11 posts in this topic

After installing the V17.0 RSLogix Professional upgrade I restarted my laptop and it froze on hte Windows Start Screen. I tried to restart in SAFE MODE and found that I am getting stopped by a McAfee file MFEHIDK.SYS. Rockwell Tech Support has no reports of this ever happening but I Google'd the file name and found hundreds of complaints from users that had installed new programs and had similar problems with this file crashing Windows. I was running Windows XP Professional, SP3 and it looks like I may have to re-install it from original CD. BTW, thanks to A/B for putting 5000 V17.0 on a DVD, it took me 2 hours to find a laptop with a DVD drive so I could install the program... Anybody having similar problems, PLEASE advise. I am dead in the water at this point....

What McAfee product and what version do you have on your PC ? Do you have any other versions of RSLogix 5000 installed prior to the v17 installation ? Did you perform any other updates or installations at the same time ? I just did a full search of the internal RA support notes database (9 years of case files) for "MFEHIDK.SYS" and came up with zero hits. It's not going to make you any happier, but XPSP3 is not officially supported by RA for RSLogix 5000 either. Does Safe Mode provide you with any restore points to remove RSLogix 5000 ?

Ken, The McAfee is provided by our Corporate IT so I will have to check iwth them on the version. We had the v10.xx previously installed and I had installed the new RXLinx and the RSLogix500 (V8.x, CP9) as well as the 5000. I don't think the problem is related to the installation but in reading other threads regarding the McAfee file, others have had problems with conflicts and Windows crashes. I hope to hear from Corporate IT today an get a solution. I am trying to get them to roll back to SP2 as I understand that RA does not support SP3. God, I hate computers! Let's all go back to relay logis!

RSLogix 5000 V17 is supported on SP3, it is RSLinx that is not (not sure why there is a discrepancy... RSLinx is critical to the usefulness of RSLogix) http://rockwellautomation.custhelp.com/cgi...p?p_faqid=52120. I wonder how many years it will be until Windows 7 is supported? As for the McAfee problem, are you able to fully boot into safe mode, or does it get 'stuck' like you mentioned when all the system files being loaded are flying past the screen? I would recommend uninstalling SP3 in any case if it is possible.

Sorry if I'm straying from the original problem, but could someone explain exactly what problems arise between RSLinx and WinXP SP3. I've been using the combination, along with RSLogix 5/500/5000 and RSView32, and have not seen any problems (yet?). Scott

The only problem that I am aware of is the use of the PIC driver with SP3. I have not had any trouble with any other RSLinx driver with SP3.

I had a previous version (10. something, CP7), along with Logix 500 and RSLinx Pro. All worked well. This was an update package we received as part of the service package we have. Everything went well with the install, although the RSLinx took forever, and after re-booting I got this McAfee file hang-up. I have since been in contact with McAfee and Microsoft as well as Dell Service but no one has a solution. I hang up on this driver file, even in safe mode and when booting from the "System Restore" CD. We have since aquired another laptop and instaled everything but 5000 on it. RA restored our activations and I am waiting to receive a laptop hard drive adapter that I can use to access the drive as a stand alone. I plan to delete the offending file and see if I can restore my original laptop to remove the data I need from it, including the activations that are there. Wish me luck...

Have you tried to revert your hard drive back to a pervious time before you installed v.17.0?

Bottom line is: I have a corrupted registry. the file I was seeing as the "hang up" was not the offender, it is the next one in line. Since it doesn't load I can't see what is is. I tried to generate a boot log but it didn't help. I purchased a laptop to USB drive reader from Cables To Go and I was able to slave the drive on another computer. Now I have to figure the driver loading order to see what driver is loading after the McAfee one and KILL IT. In the meanwhile the boss has agreed to BUY a new laptop, he has ordered a Dell E6400 with a real serial port. This will bring me to my next thread, why can't I talk to Micrologix through a USB to serial adapter cable, comming soon to a forum near you. Many thanks to all who participated in this, your ideas were very helpful and I learned a lot persuing them.

Thanks for the Update and do come back and discuss that ML1200 issue - we'll be here.

Problem has been resolved !! I ran a different computer, in safe mode, to see what was loading after the MFEHIDK.SYS and found that it was the last thing to load before Windows started. I then figured out that my PCMK card was the problem. I ejected the card and the system started without a problem. When I re-isntall the card Windows freezes up. I tried a different card and got the same result. I figure the PCMK driver must be corrupted and Widows doesn't know what to do. I will download the driver from R/A and re-install it. If this doesn't work then I will re-install RSLinx. It may have gotten messed up because I had the card plugged in when I installed the upgrade. Either way, I have my laptop back and can use DF-1 and ETH-1 until this PCMK problem is resolved.... THANKS to everybody for your help and suggestions..