Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
stickman47

I/O Monitor in Logix5000

6 posts in this topic

Gents, I am looking for a way to create a list of addresses in RS5000 that I can monitor status of these bits in real time. RS500 had "Data Monitor" but I can find to parallel in 5000. Any hints would be appreciated.

LOTS of options. Option #1: Click on the View menu, followed by "Watch". The watch list is the closest thing to the "Data Monitor" function that you get in Logix 5/500. I believe you may need "Quick Watch" list to set up your own list. Option #2: Double-click on the Controller or appropriate Program Tags folders. Select the "Monitor Tags" tab if it's not already selected. Under the filtering options, you can greatly reduce the list size. Option #3: Tools->Tag Data Monitor Tool. Note that this is an optional tool that must be installed when you install Logix 5000. Can be used entirely externally without Logix 5000 if desired. The bigger annoyance is that the old "histogram" and especially the graphical trending tools are gone.

I am confused at this point. I have been told that the "Watch" option is in Version 13.x and up. I just installed, what I understand to be, version 17.0, but when I run the program, and go to HELP, ABOUT, it shows up as version 10.6. What am I doing wrong?

Graphical trending tools are there under RSLogix5000. I have used them repeatly. Its in the controller tree under the folder "Trends" I agree the data monitor tool was sweet under RSLogix500, but they brought it back as an add on. It should be part of the tools that you can install from the installation disk. Look for the Tool directory should be on the install disks for RsLogix5000. Its up to you if you want to install these tools as an option.

this is a separate problem from the one you've already asked about (the "watch" feature stuff) ... let's try to answer this one first ... chances are that you've installed SEVERAL versions of RSLogix5000 on your computer – including version 10.6 as well as version 17.0 ... there's nothing wrong with that – in fact, it's recommended policy ... the basic idea is that if you try to "create" a new file for a version 17.0 project, then RSLogix5000 is supposed to be smart enough to shift gears and reopen at the correct version level ... it should also automatically shift gears if you try to open a file at a different version than the version that is already open ... that USUALLY works ok ... but sometimes not (often with a "Fatal Error") ... you might want to try the approach that I use ... basically I go into each version's BIN folder and RIGHT-CLICK and DRAG the executable file's icon onto my desktop ... when I release the drag, I choose "Create a Shortcut Here" from the popup menu ... then I rename the resulting icon something like "RS5000 V15" ... that way I can always start up exactly the version that I need without piddling around with the "last version used" that normally comes up ... if you're interested, the procedure shown in the figure would give me a new icon – for version 13 ... Edited by Ron Beaufort

Ron, Thanks for the tip. I see now what it's doing with "last version opened". It would seem that the program is too smart for it's own good. I also have the tools to mentioned and have moved them to my desktop. Thanks for the help..