Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
tranh2

Help with Remote Pumping Station Data Acquisition & Monitoring Config.

6 posts in this topic

Hi, A brief background info, I’m currently working on a wastewater project where there is a main SCADA monitoring building and 6 remote pumping stations. Each remote pumping station has 2 pumps and currently has a Microsystems ScadaPack (PLC) and a Microsystems 5902 Modem connected to a leased phone line that communicates the ScadaPack info back to the monitoring station. At the monitoring stations they are using GE iFix for the SCADA package. See Diagram 1. What our client wants to do now is upgrade the Scadapack to an AB CompactLogix (L32E) but still retain the use of the Microsystems 5902 Modem. To have the modem communicate to the CompactLogix they decided to use a Prosoft MVI69-MCM modbus module which will interface the CompactLogix with the 5902 modem. The problem is this is the first time they are setting this configuration up and they’ve never tested this before. Someone told them that it “should” work. I’ve never seen this setup myself so I’m uncomfortable with this config. myself. In discussing with the client, they are open to other configurations and getting rid of the 5902 modem altogether. They are also in discussions with the local phone company about upgrading the phone lines. I’m assuming the upgrade is to DSL lines, but I’ll have to confirm this. See diagram 2. So my questions is, has anyone seen the Prosoft configuration before and knows how to set it up to communicate with the CompactLogix and send data over the leased line to the IFix SCADA system? If not, is there another setup you guys can suggest that will work for remote site monitoring and data acquisition? The only condition is using the CompactLogix. I’ve researched on Google and noticed a lot of wireless applications for this sort of thing. That option might be a last resort but I’d like to see other options before we suggest this one. I’ve been told that if the line is upgraded to a DSL line, we can get a module that can connect to a DSL modem and have a VPN to the SCADA system. Is that possible? Also, there is a GE Quickpanel at the remote sites that needs to be connected as well. Thanks.

What is the distance from the Pump stations to the Scada Monitoring building?

You could keep the leased lines and chnge the modems to one of these: http://www.rockwellautomation.com/services...nephone/modems/ That would give you access to the A/B PLCs at the remote sites.

Several of the pump stations here in Seattle have diesel generator backup. Seems to me that if these are that vital then they should have radio monitor / control also backed up ie radio / microwave. I do not know your customer needs so I can only suggest give some thought to radio backup to the landline monitor / control. Dan Bentler

I have used prosoft in the past and it works well, it was not that same module, but most of the modbus card they sell are very similar in set us from what I have read. I was lucky that I had ethernet on site and could get the network up and running very quickly. The config is not that bad, when you get the card from prosoft they will give you a PAC program for your compact logix PAC. Insert the code, or what I did was use the file and then program all the logix I needed into the PAC. The code they give you will set up comms to the prosoft card, they you will use the card config file they give you and tell the card what Modbus address for the device you want to get data from and the register you need to get. Your fig 2 should work, My project was set up with a L35E and a 1769-Mnet, the comms whet from the L35E to the 1769-MNET via the back plane out the ethernet port to a switch and then to the 17 GM 745, and 650 multilins. I have to go to work now but if you would like I can read the manual and see if I can give you anymore info.

Thanks for the info guys. Unfortunately we're not lucky to have ethernet at any of these sites and the client does not plan on putting ethernet lines in. I don't know how far the pumping stations are away from the main station, but i'm assuming its pretty far if they carrently have leased lines. They're currently in discussion with the local phone company to see if DSL can be deployed at those stations. If so, then I'll just have them setup a VLAN and i'll setup a server and that should work out well! I'll keep you guys posted. lccllc - Thanks for the info about prosoft. If we do return to the original setup with the prosoft, i'll let you know! Thanks.