Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
panic mode

OT: Safest way to travel?

8 posts in this topic

Yet another passenger plan fell, another landed safely with hole in the fuselage... What happened to safest way to travel? Is it me or news or airplanes are lately dropping like flies? Are the fleets too old? The new plains seem to have just as many problems... (pressure to reach the market?) What do you think?

WARNING - TANGENTIAL DEPARTURE AHEAD !! "It is appointed unto man, ONCE TO DIE, but after this the judgement." Hebrews 9:27 KJV 1611 My Answer - Plane, Train, Automobile, Bike, Foot or Space Shuttle If your numbers up - IT IS UP! WARNING - TANGENTIAL DEPARTURE ABOVE !!

Same with trains. And there have been a lot of civilian helicopters crashing in the mid-east war. Bob, are you saying that you believe if your number is up, it doesn't matter what you do, death will get you?

Yes and NO. I will die once when God determines I am to die, but DEATH has no victory and no sting for me. I will live forever.

Yes. But I was only talking about physical death. I believe our choices mostly affect when we die. Saying God determines when someone dies opens the door to being angry at God for a loved one's death. Just as you can't blame God for war and famine. This world is fallen and most suffering is due to our own choices, not God's will.

Putting the religious discussion aside, it depends on how you compare deaths to traveling. Do you care about deaths vs. distance traveled, deaths vs. number of complete trips, or deaths vs. time spent in travel? Personally I think deaths vs. time spent is the best comparison, because planes travel several hundred km/h, so deaths/km will be very low. Planes also make vastly fewer numbers of trips due to the large distance they cover in one trip and having less planes in the world than trains, buses, cars, etc. The majority of accidents happen on takeoff and landing, so while you are in the air you can rest easy. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Air_safety#Statistics

Unless, of course, you're worried about that upcoming landing...

i just came to Korea (AC63 from Toronto to Vancouver to Seoul, then AK1613 to Ulsan). in Vancouver they had some delay due to problem with closing gate of the plane, then plane filled with smoke while taxiing to runway. the smoke cleared after few minutes but they stopped for a while to investigate. then capetain announced "we are still looking into the smoke issue, it is probably normal..." and immediately sped down the runway. interesting look on passenger faces...