Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
carbonat

Monitor PLC through iPhone

20 posts in this topic

I need to monitor a small process remotely, and I want to use an iPhone. Googling it I came across an app called ScadaMobile (http://www.sweetwilliamautomation.com) that seems to do all I need, but apparently it is not available yet. Do you know of other available or similar iPhone apps for that purpose?. I don't need anything over complicated, just a simple way to monitor some DM over a mobile network. Thank you in advance.

I need to monitor a small process remotely, and I want to use an iPhone. Googling it I came across an app called ScadaMobile (http://www.sweetwilliamautomation.com) that seems to do all I need, but apparently it is not available yet. Do you know of other available or similar iPhone apps for that purpose?. I don't need anything over complicated, just a simple way to monitor some DM over a mobile network. Sorry I also posted this in the Cx-programmer thread, cause I couldn't figure out what was the best place. Thank you in advance for any reply.

I do not know of anything but be careful - you will probably have to jailbreak your iPhone to use it. Then when you update your iPhone firmware you will probably have to jailbreak it again. My iPhone is a fairly useless device quite frankly, lousy camera, cannot edit contacts etc. Great idea nobbled by Apple. There are many things I like about it and many I do not. At least the latest formware allows tehthering at last - except in the US. It does not suit me frankly. Waiting to see the Nokia N97 when it comes out in Ozz.

I repliued in CX-Programmer - the topic is in 2 places.

You could try using remote VNC via a PC? I can do this on a PPC phone.

You might try to use Indusoft. You can create an entire application full of screens and then port them over to HTML pages. Then you could access the HTML with your I-Phone or any other phone or PC that supports viewing the pages that you develop. No special software would be required on the I-Phone as long as the pages displayed properly. I should add that Indusoft sold by Omron in the United States has FINS drivers included. Edited by Michael Walsh

Thank you for your replies. I looked at InduSoft and I think it will not work on an iPhone because it needs activeX, which the phone does not support. On the other hand I guess it needs a dedicated computer on the PLC site acting as a server, which I don't want to add. I just have a CJ1 omron PLC which I want to access through the mobile phone network, in the most direct way if possible. (It is a mini hydro plant). I looked again at ScadaMobile and it seems to do it all, no nothing between the phone and the PLC, except probably an ADSL or GPRS router. The interface is of a native app so it does not go through a WEB server either. They provide a link to a Google Group in their web site and they say it will be released next month. I may give it a try when it is released if I don't find anything else in the mean time. More suggestions are appreciated though.

Just a question, Have you thought about installing an NQ terminal with Webserver function at the PLC? Or is there an NS terminal there already? Then all you would need is an explorer software on your cell phone to view the PLC information. Its a simple solution that requires no software setup of messing about. You just need to create access to the IP address of HMI, tunnel routing is an easy option. Then anyone with log-details can view the information and no special software needs to be installed on cell, PC or PDA.

Yes, this is the remaining option that we have. The process has a a small HMI terminal which does not support web services, but it is certainly an option to upgrade it for a newer one. However I don't think that NQ terminals support web, though I am sure NS series do. I will look into that too. Thanks.

Carbonat, There is a new feature in InduSoft Web Studio version 6.1 Service Pack 5 that supports any relatively recent browser, including the iPhone. The feature is called Studio Mobile Access or SMA. SMA supports viewing and optionally interacting with tags (process variables), alarms with the option of acknowledgement (with option of adding ack comments, for continuing support of 21 CFR Part 11 application creation). It is not graphical, but is very quick and easy to setup. You are correct, the graphical screen remote viewing of InduSoft (usually called Web Thin Client) will not work on the iPhone as it does require ActiveX support. Even the lowest tag count package of InduSoft Web Studio comes with 1 license of each Web Thin Client and SMA. Each license is for the number of concurrent users. SMA does support login security too. Hope this helps. Skortier

Skortier, Thanks for your reply, but InduSoft still requires a PC serving Web pages. In reality we have several sites that need to be monitored. We do not have PCs on our sites (and we prefer not having to put a PC on them). The sites are several autonomous mini hydro plants, which only have a OMRON CJ1 plc and a small HMI screen. We don't even have a DSL connection in all of them, so we have to use GPRS routers to access to some remotely, some of them aren't either completely safe locations... This is why I find the ScadaMobile solution a perfect fit for our case. I contacted to the manufacturer and they claim that, unless other solutions, their app connects *directly* with PLCs using PLC communication protocols, so no more infrastructure is needed. This is IMO a 'key' difference for what we need and intend to do, and this is why I like it. On the other hand, do you know if with the InduSoft solution we could setup a 'central' computer in a safe place, which is able to contact to the end sites (again without PCs on them) so then the iPhone can reach this central place through web? Thanks.

Darn iPhones are an absolute pain - cannot wait to have a look at the Nokia E97 to see if I can get rid of my iPhone - great idea crippled by Apple - why should I be surprised!!! If you have screens on site why don't you use the Omron NS series screens with a built in web server? Then you would only have to access the screen with a standard web browser. I have utilised this method several times now and it is most satisfactory. No software required - Safari is built into the half useless iPhone. Great screen though.

OT: Bob I guess you mean the N97? (E97 is a concept model). In that case I suggest you also take a look at the HTC Touch Pro II. I got one recently and am very impressed. The fully equipped hardware keyboard is a relief if you are only used to finger keyboards. Besides, it runs on Windows Mobile so you can install apss you like. With Nokia you are still limited to their Symbian OS. Here's a comparison between the two. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e0TmYbLKlBc...re=channel_page

Carbonat, Without knowing your exact network configuration, I can say "highly likely" InduSoft Web Studio could be setup on a central PC, in a control room or other "safe place", connect to the remote PLCs wirelessly and then send the data, via the SMA feature to the iPhone. If you are not stuck with the iPhone and simply looking for remote functionality, InduSoft has a package called InduSoft CEView, that will run on Windows Mobile (Windows CE) phones and could wirelessly connect to the PLCs (via routers, etc.) and not need the central PC. This way you wouldn't be locked into a single hardware vendor, or single mobile services company. Hope this helps. skortier

... Red Lion make the Data Station Plus which has a Web Server and connects easily to Omron (and others) - free programming(configuration) software, mounts on a DIN rail, probably cheaper than an HMI. Worth a look. Nibroc

Thanks Pim. I will have a look at it.

Hi Bob, Yes, I have used the Red Lion product several times now and it is quite a comprehensive unit. (depending on model selection) The data logging (onto compact flash) is quite good also. Probably the best way to complete an assessment would be to download the Crimson software and have a quick play. You can create virtual HMI pages and they are then displayed via the Web Server. Tim (aka Nibroc (Pim?))

LOL

Hello Carbonat Our app ScadaMobile for remote monitoring of Omron PLCs using the iPhone platform is already available for sale in the App Store. I encourage you to visit our new web site at http://www.sweetwilliamautomation.com for further information. We already have an experience on a practical case very similar to what you are looking for. Our site now supports discussion forums so feel free to use them or contact us for any inquiry. Best regards, Joan Lluch SweetWilliam team Edited by Joan

Hello and welcome to MrPLC.com! Your product sounds very interesting, but I would like to suggest to continue further discussion at the For Sale Or Services Offered section. I have moved the topic you have opened in the Omron forum to that section as well: ScadaMobile for iPhone avaiable in the App Store