Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
chris_85

Can anyone suggest a free to try OPC server software?

7 posts in this topic

I am trying to make the Micrologix 1100 to connect to an Access database. I have only the RSLinx Classic Lite version which does not have the DDE/OPC funtionality, I know that I would need a higher version of the software to make it work. I am only a student and I cannot afford to upgrade to the higher version (costs about 995$). Can anyone suggest a free to try software for achieving this?? Please.... Thanks

You might try the Automated Solutions Demos found here http://www.automatedsolutions.com/demos/ . I've used their Active X in Visual basic Programs with good success. The Active X should drop into an Access Form and give you DDE/OPC connectivity to rival Linx.

Please describe your project and how much it will be running. Kepserver EX has a free 2 hour at a time trial OPC server. FactorySQL will also log data for 2 hour trials - to Access if you want, but why not at least use SQL Server Express or MySQL (both are significantly more powerful and free).

Well, I attended a class in PLCs and I wanted to do a simple project on my own. I just wanted to do a project where I could do the front end and the dashboard which displays a result and not just learn how to program the PLC. Instead of using the force function in the RSLogix, I wanted to create an Access database which could be used to control the PLC. Its just for demostration purpose and I am not going to be using the OPC server for long. Hence, I thought of going for a trial version of the software. It would be great if I could use it for 30 days....

Thank you...I will look into this option...

Matrikon's OPC Server for Allen Bradley PLCs is fully functional for 30 days, after which you've got the 2 hour timeouts. Adriel Michaud MatrikonOPC

Thank you...this seems to be just right for my purpose!