Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
redeemer

Cable tray diagrams

5 posts in this topic

Hi, I'm currently in a situation, where I need to specify how cable trays should be installed/routed. I'm not sure of any conventions or standard diagrams that are used for this purpose. Can anybody direct me to any design software or sample diagrams that I can use as a guideline to follow? Regards, Fadi

Do you mean physical routing or logical routing? If you mean logical routing, I make a table of Conduit number vs. Cable numbers (ie. Conduit 1 -> Cables 1-10) as one of my electrical drawings. If you mean physical routing, you'd probably be looking at a 3D CAD package like Autodesk Inventor that connects to Autocad Electrical for cable & harness routing. I haven't needed that level of detail myself, but it may come in handy if you're looking to go through tight spaces. HTH, Susan

Thank you for your response. I was considering physical routing. And I have considered using regular AutoCAD (not Inventor) to make 3d drawings. But what I'm not sure of is the level of details I should (or could) put in each type of diagram. I have considered for example to make isometric diagrams. These would be very good to specify the lengths of each segment of the cable route. But it might not be very helpful to specify where the route will go and how they fit with their surrounding environment (other machines, support for the trays, etc...). On the other hand: details 3d drawing, are not only processing power intensive, they are difficult to output to paper in a clear and understandable manner. One of the reasons I posted the question here, is to see if I can find sample cable tray construction documentation so I can produce similar documents. In particular, if there are any special conventions that can be used in such diagrams. I tried to search online, but I mainly found proprietary solutions for plant piping and cabling in 3D. Anyway, thanks again, Fadi

B-Line (cooper) makes an add on software package for Autocad. I've made some nice 3D layouts for sure. If your customer can provide you with a plant layout, you'll be in business.

I 2nd that. http://www.b-line.com/engineer/Software.asp#TrayCAD Bud