Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
plcdp

trouble connecting

23 posts in this topic

Hello, I have two machines running with DS PLC's. Both are 205 series, but one is using a 230 processor, and the other is using a 250 processor. I have no trouble connecting to the 230, but no matter what I try I cant get connected to the 250. I was hoping someone might have a few suggestions for me to try. Thanks much, plcdp

Are you attempting to connect to port 1, the 6 pin modular connector, on each? Remember to make a separate link but otherwise the setup should be the same and the link shoud set up automatically.

Actually I use port 1 on the 230, but port 1 on the 250 is a phone jack style connector, which I have an optimate plugged into. I tried both ways, first pulling the optimate and trying to plug into port 1, then using the 6 pin connector and connecting to port 2. I made a seperate link and when it auto searches it never establishes a connection.

I really don't know but let's establish some other factors. Are you using an onboard serial port or possibly a USB to RS232 converter? Just for fun try using the link that works with the 230 on the 250. Verify the communication parameters that the Optimate is using. Manually set those into the new link. Try going to the Windows control panel, find your port and manually enter the values there. Edited by b_carlton

Ok, I have been using an on-board serial port, and I have a laptop and a pc that I have tried both. I already tried the link that worked on the 230 with no luck. I am not sure how to enter the parameters of the optimate, I didn't see where I could do that. I did however, already go to the port and manually set the parameters, the only thing that wasn't the same was the parity (was set to none, and the plc set to odd). I'm new to this and I am hoping this makes sense. Let me know if there is any other info I can give you to help. Thanks

Re: the Optimate. I was just suggesting that you look at, assuming you had the Optimate configuration package, any setting for communication, assuming they exist, to compare to the parameters listed in the CPU manual. (Enough commas for you?)

All of the settings in the optimate seem to be matching up with the manual, and the addressing of the plc matches the addressing I have been trying.

Also, I noticed when I select my plc the only option I have is the 250-1 (direct replacement for the 250). Could my problem possibly be that I'm not selecting the 250??

No - that shouldn't affect i. This probably doesn't need to be asked but I assume the Optimat communicates ok? Edited by b_carlton

Yes, the optimate communicates fine ( not to and from the plc, but using optimate editor I can read data from the optimate itself).

What I meant concerning the Optimate is - does the Optimate work properly when connected to the PLC? Does it get and display values and conditions? If It does then we have a mystery. If it does not then it may be a CPU port problem.

No, the optimate does not function when connected to the plc. So if that means I have a port problem, there is no fix for that? Also, I tried both ports and neither one worked. Does it seem odd that both ports would be bad? Thanks again

Just for fun - are all the status lights ok on the CPU? If the rack is 110VAC powered are the 24VDC OUT pins on the power supply producing 24VDC? (This is a general indication of bus problems.) If these are all ok then for your time it's probably faster getting a new CPU. Send the other in for testing/repair if you wish but for the price it's probably not worth it. But give AD support a call anyway. I think something critical is out.

As a matter of fact no, all the lights are not ok. I can't get a run light, which really stinks because I cannot communicate to the plc either. I'm getting 22 vdc out of the power supply. Is that ok or does that seem a little low? Thanks again for all your help.

22VDC does seem a little low. Try removing all but the CPU to see if there is an I/O card loading problem. If removing the cards works re-do your power calculations for the rack. Edit - be sure to include in the 'removing' and the 'recalculating' any connection you may have to the 24VDC from the PLC. Edited by b_carlton

22VDC is too low. Something is dragging the supply down. At this voltage the 5V internal supply is probably around 2 or 3 volts. Start pulling cards until the voltage comes up. If the voltage never rises, then you have a bad base. If it does rise then the card you just pulled was bad or as Bernie suggested, you are over power budget. Edited by rlp122

B. and Rip, I pulled all cards from the unit and never got my voltage back, this tells you my rack is bad? Would it be possible this is why I don't have a run light? Also, why no error light?

You will only get RUN if a valid program is downloaded and it is put into the RUN mode. I assume you removed any wires which may have been attached to the 24VDC connection on the rack. After sysling power you still have low voltage at those teminals? Even with that did you try communicating with the CPU? By the way, what is the history of these parts? Did they ever run before? Since you have a 250 (not a 250-1) the CPU is old enough to ahve seen some use before.

Yes this has been in service for some time now. And yes, I disconnected wires from the connection on the rack, cycled power and still read about 22vdc. And I did try to communicate to the CPU again with no luck.

With all cards out and no 24VDC connection it sounds like the rack.

So you think that I don't have a bad com port, but the rack could be causing me not to communicate?

We don't know about the port but with a seemingly bad rack we can't find out. First things first.

It's a bad rack. Yes it will keep you from connecting. No it won't show an error light.