Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
matt2822

New to Siemens

11 posts in this topic

Ive never used siemens only A&B and I would like to learn a little about the siemens PLCs. Do they have any trial programming software so I can check it out. What would be a current inexpensive siemens PLC to learn on ( hopefully one easy on the wallet )

Hi matt. What 'kind' of PLC do you plan and want to use ? A 'brick' similar to a MicroLogix ? Then you might consider the new S7-1200 which is really low cost (150 Euro for the smallest model). STEP7 10 Basic for the S7-1200 is also quite cheap and includes programming for the socalled "basic panels" that match the S7-1200. However, it is so new that there are not much feedback on how good PLC or programming software is. I'll guess that it is OK though. STEP7 10 should be the new software architecture, later also for the S7-300/S7-400, so it could be a good idea to be an early adopter. Or do you aim for a more modular and performant PLC ? Then I recommend the IM151-8. This because it is relatively low cost (600 Euro), yet has reasonably much memory and onboard ethernet (which also means you dont have to purchase a separate programming adapter). You need the full STEP7 for pramming this one though. If you contact a Siemens distributor, you can get a free Trial CD with STEP7. It is good for 14 or 30 days as far as I remember.

Last I knew Siemens also gave out a Step 7 Lite for free on their website for the S7-300. It didn't include networking, but it should work for learning the PLCs.

I would recommend to start learning SIEMENS PLCs with a S7-PLCSIM software - a virtual S7-300/S7-400 PLC from SIEMENS that integrates into STEP7

Hi Im also thinking about using a Siemens PLC for a job and have only used Mitsubishi to date. The PLC is an S7-300. I plan to talk to my nearest distributor when i know the final IO count etc but what will i need in terms of software/programming cable etc? Where can i get a copy of the S7-PLCSIM software? Justin Edited by justwhy2003

Hi Justin. PLCSIM is an option for STEP7, costs approx 600 €. If you are learning STEP7 on a budget for an upcoming project, then just purchase the PLC hardware so far in advance that you can "simulate" your code on the real CPU. For S7-300, you need at least STEP7 LITE which can be downloaded for free, or STEP7 which costs approx 1900 €. In either case you need an online cable, which can be the PC Adapter USB for approx 450 €. If you can use the somewhat smaller IM151-8 CPU for ET200S, then you can program via ethernet. That means you can omit the PC Adapter USB, but then again cannot use STEP7 LITE, only the full STEP7.
1 person likes this

Thanks for the advice What are the advantages of going for the full blown STEP7? Could I program and configure a project using only STEP7 LITE? I also need to tallk to another S7-300 via an ethernet connection from the PLC I use. Justin

STEP7 LITE is limited to support only S7-300, no configured networking connections (f.ex. PLC-to-PLC), no Profibus or Profinet i/o. Online only via MPI, not Profibus or Ethernet. Exchanging projects between the full STEP7 and LITE is quite cumbersome. Since there is Ethernet in the equation, I recommend to go for the full STEP7. Since both PLCs have Ethernet, save on the PC Adapter, it will not be required.

How does PCS-7 fit into the equation? Is it a dedicated Siemens SCADA (only for the S7 range?) The job has spec'd PCS-7 with add in software packages Arcon 7 for archiving and logging and Alarm control centre. What sort of money woould you expect for this software as well as the Licensing?

Justin. Rather than presenting the task at hand piece-meal, either post it all here or get qualified help elsewhere. Jumping from STEP7 LITE to PCS-7 is like jumping from a tricycle to the space shuttle. PCS-7 is Siemens top-of-the-line Proces Control System based on S7 hardware and software. It is not just a SCADA, it is more like a DCS. The hardware is either S7-400 or PC Stations with WinAC RTX (at least I think so). A complete PCS-7 system including "Engineering Stations" starts at 20-30000 €, just to put things in perspective.

I have no argument against that as I am new to Siemens, im mearley trying to understand a little more on the information i have been given. Thank you for your help, ill do a little bit more digging on the online documentation before i ask any more questions. Justin