Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
KidPLC

Panelview Plus and ControlLogix Tags

5 posts in this topic

Hi Guys, Need to ask a question regarding connections to tags in a control logix. I am planning to create an array in controller scope something like In_HMI_Data of type DINT[20] and Out_HMI_Data of type DINT[50] then alias my program scope HMI tags to bits in these two arrays. From previous discussions on this site I am figuring this is the most efficient way to pack tags ready for exchange with the HMI. Now when I go into the ViewStudioME software should I direct the connection to the program scope tag (which has a more user friendly name) or to its corresponding array bit in controller scope (which has a not so user friendly name)??? I think I can answer my own question by saying it should be the controller scope array but I have so many things running through my head at the moment I just want to bounce this question off the forum. Cheers KidPLC

Don't have any experience with ControlLogix and PVP, but everything I've read about Program Scoped Tags and Controller Scoped Tags leades me to believe that only the COntroller Scoped tags are viewable by an HMI or OPC App. The only way to monitor or view the value program scoped tags is with RSlogix.

Thanks for the reply BobLfoot I might try this question on the Rockwell forum and see how I go there.

It's not the case Bob, I've been using the program scoped tags on panelview+ units for the last several projects with no issues. Because we regularly insert code into a customers PLC for our systems, we shy away from adding all the tags to the controller scope and only add items that need to interact with the other systems on PLC. It's worked out fine using PV+, RsView SE and iFix5 so far.

Seconding Bryanr. Program scoped tags are viewable by any OPC server. They show up as if in a folder named after the program.