Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
tierracast

Registering an old copy of VersaPro

3 posts in this topic

I was hoping someone here would be able to help me with a problem I've been having. We have an old copy of VersaPro that was used long ago to program some of our series 90 PLCs, and the computer it was on is long gone. We haven't had a use for the software in years, and only recently I was tasked with reinstalling the software and doing some programming. I'm having a problem with getting the software installed and registered. It's legitimate software, with a legitimate serial number, and we have the old site keys, but they will not work with the new install. I've tried calling GE a number of times, and after navigating through the menu, and waiting on hold for 10+ minutes, their phone system drops me. Does anyone have any advice on how I can get this software installed and working?

There is a procedure to transfer the license from one computer to another, but you'll need the old computer that had the license. Without that, you'll need help from the folks at the support line. When you first install VersaPro, you get a four-day grace period during which it is fully functional with no restrictions. After the four days, you need a license in order to save any changes you make. But, uninstalling and then reinstalling resets the four day clock. If you only need to use it intermittently, that's an option.

I think you will have difficulty here. I would just reinstall the software every four days. The way to transfer a license is to go to new computer and create a license transfer disk. Then go to old computer and transfer license and it will place the license on the disk. Then go back to the new computer and move license. Without the original computer you are stuck. Your remaining option is to convince GE to activate an out of date non-supported software. I had no luck with this in the last two years. I have just imported the programs into Proficy software Cleaned up the documentation and moved on. There were features of Versa pro I missed . Oh well.