Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
RFurey

Allen Bradley terminal blocks

8 posts in this topic

I don't know if this is the proper place for this sort of topic, but I figure that A-B PLC people may also frequently work with A-B terminal blocks Termnal Block: 1492-J3 Problem: More often that I would like, I insert a wire into the terminal block, but not quite deep enough to pick up the screw-clamp. I tighten the screw all the way and then the wire falls out. Oops. Usually not a big deal, except .... when I tighten the screw all the way and then reverse it, the screw cross-threads!, making it virtually impossible to use the termial block again. On top of that, the usual way of removing a TB from din rail is to insert a small screw driver into a recess in the back and lever it away from the rail ... except, the 1492-J3 instructions say not to do that, and sure enough I have to mangle the TB to get it off the din rail, particularly if the TB is in the middle of a row of wired-up TBs. It's getting really annoying - having so much difficulty with for such an minor component. Is anyone else having problems with this particular TB, or is my experience isolated?

I have had that problem with them. I really liked the J4s, but since coming out with the J3s AB has priced the J4s ridiculously high, I assume that is to discourage their use while still continuing to support the already installed product base.

Use Entrelec terminal blocks, they are much better. The only good thing AB makes, in my opinion, are Overloads and Contactors. Edited by Duffanator

We've had good service and performance from Weidmuller terminal blocks.

I had the before until I started using push in terminal block connector, they are reliable and do not have set escrew, all you do is open the jaw with a small escrew driver and insert the wire.

I like phoenix contact, and if you want to go cheap (and fast delivery), buy terminal blocks from automation direct. You might get a few bad ones per box but the price is right. (One order of mine many years ago had a few bad pieces...) I like A/B PLCs and programming software and their AC drives are pretty good, but none of their other products are industry leaders IMHO. Paul Edited by OkiePC

I'm almost with you there. I bought all my terminal blocks from Omega last time. They turned out to be mostly major brand names when I got them and all were good stuff. I would have bought Allen Bradley but the price was literally double the competitor. Their encoders by the way are almost rebranded Dynapar. When I got a couple recently they didn't even slap the octagon on the instruction sheet. I have to differ with your opinion on their other products. Their push buttons are still almost an industry gold standard, and their combination starters and even their low voltage distribution gear is really well made. I'm not much of a fan of their operator panels though, and I've never been thrilled with their HMI software.

I use Legrand terminals exclusively these days. They are really good quality and I can say I have never had a problem with them. I no longer use AB anything - I also no longer use Automation Direct anything. Push buttons, lights etc I use either Idec (superb quality) or Lovato (for cheaper jobs but excellent). AB contactors etc are all Sprechur & Schuh these days as far as I can see and we can buy that brand in Ozz cheaper than AB. AB relays are all sourced outside as well and can buy the real brands cheaper. Phoenix is great stuff but the price is out of this world. Weidmueller spring loaded terminals are great but I only use them on diesel engines where vibration is a problem. I still prefer screw terminals from Legrand.