Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Christopher Barker

RSLinx Pro and RSView32

17 posts in this topic

I need some help urgently! I am running Control Logix, RSLinx Pro (v: 2.40.01), with RSView32 (v: 6.30.17) and my display has no data. My driver (ETHERNET) is properly configured and browsing. My topic and channel are set. Node is set to topic. My tag monitor is returning stale and error messages. I tried everything: created new Node (OPC Server-local). My question, should the controller key be set to RUN or REM (remote)? Do I need to configure DCOM. My setup is as follows: Channel: 1 Network Type: TCP/IP Primary Communication Driver: AB_ETH-1 Messages: 3 Active Driver:Primary Data Source: OPC Server Name: USA (enabled) Server Name: RSLinx OPC Server Server Type: Local Access Path: (blank) Tag Database (added) Scan Class (default)

First, the key switch postion REM/RUN will have no affect on your RSLinx. REM allows you to remotly take the PLC from program to run, etc. from the RSLogix programming software. RUN disables this capability. I would leave the processor in REM position unless you have poor controls on who has access to your RSLogix programming software. You mention your ethernet driver is configured properly. Can you access the PLC through this configuration with RSLogix? Does your node show up in the browse window? Did you add the ethernet I/P address to the list in the configuration area? Russell

Also adding to what Russell has said, try pinging the IP address, to view your ip address go to Start > Run > IPconfig and then view your ip Address...EXit out...Go back to Start > Run > Command > ping xxx.xxx.x.xxx the ip address you just viewed...If not successful then find out why...If successful then Ping the RSView application... Hope this helps...

Sorry guys but I think I configure the driver incorrectly. Driver configurations: Station 0. Should this field have any data or left blank? I assigned my ENBT IP to station 0 and I need to know if this is correct. I left station 1 blank. My controller (L55) is in slot 0, ENBT in slot 1 and various I/Os from slot 2 through slot 11. I cannot browse anything. My IP is 130.130.130.1 for NIC and 130.130.130.2 for 1756-ENBT. Edited by Christopher Barker

If i understand you correctly your looking at the Station Mapping Popup and have an IP assigned to station 0 and none to station 1. This is not an issue as the station numbers are for housekeeping within RSlinx and RSLogix. If you think your driver is configured wrong I'd suggest you post screenshots of your config and we'll be glad to guide you,

Ok this is what I understand. With the ethernet driver you have programmed station 0 to 130.130.130.2 which should get you a connection to your enbt with your NIC configured as you mentioned. Did you try the ping that was mentioned? if you receive a timeout then you have other network issues. how are you connecting from your PC to the enbt? Are you connecting vai a switch or directly cabled. If you are directly cabled, you will need a ethernet crossover cable. Once again, the ping will let you know if you have a good connection. If ping comes back ok, then maybe you should try the ethernet I/P driver since you are communicating with an enbt. finally, make sure your driver is running in the rslinx configuration window. probably not an issue with an ethernet driver, but worth checking. finally, did I mention ping?? Russell

Russell Ping tells him the PC can reach the ENBT with Windows or DOS right?

I am using RSLogix 5000 version 9.0 (control logix) with RSLinx Pro version 2.40.01 and RSView32 version 6.30.17. Ethernet cross-over cable. I have included some screen shots to show whats really going on. I resolved the IP problem, it was due to a damaged RJ45. I am able to browse the I/Os on the rack in RSWho. I cannot browse my tags, I am getting errors in Tag monitor. I tried going online with RSLogix5000 using Ethernet and got the message in the screen shot. Please note: my PC and PLC are in the same room, I do not require remote access. Edited by Christopher Barker

Ok, first great screen shots. Nobody can say you didnt supply information. Second, Bob, with the cmd window in xp, I understand it to all still be windows. More of a dos interpreter. If that is what you were asking... Christopher, I wish I could look at all these great screen shots and say I had an aha moment, but I dont see the problem. One question I do have concerns the RSLinx. It looks like you are connected OK, but have you actually drilled down into your cards to see if you are actually seeing real data? I guess you have to use the OPC option to connect to RSView so no changes there. Have you tried setting up a Ethernet I/P driver to see if that solves your Logix5000 problem. That is a strange error. I usually dont even try connecting with a SCADA if my PLC software has issues so I would sove that problem first. Try the ethenet I/P and if that works maybe redo your OPC connection with rsview. If ethenet I/P give the same error, then you might try looking at your firmware version. Maybe upgrading your RSLinx. Both of those are guesses. At that point I'm kinda using the shotgun approach and hitting everything I can think of... Before doing anything else, try the ethenet I/P driver with your logix5000. Russell

I found this - it may be worth a try: From rockwells support forum. Mentions 1. making sure your device shows up in rslinx and is recognized device (done) 2. selecting the controller (done) 3. delete Harmony files at C:\Program Files\Rockwell Software\RSCommon\ Harmony.rsh and Harmony.hrc Of course it doesnt mention what those files do... The .hrc is an RSLinx cache file. Not sure about the rsh - maybe someone here can shed some light. Russell

I update my RSLogix from V9 to v11 and I was able to go online. But I got I/O Not Responding Msg. Description: Module Fault: (Code 16#0115) Electronic Keying Mismatch: Electronic Keying Product Type Mismatch. Module is 1756-IA16 v1.1 set to compatible module. I am still not able to browse my tags in RSview32. My OPC Server and Topic are configured. Quick question: I am about to reinstall RSLogix, RSLinx and RSView32 on a new machine. Sequence for creating my tags in RSLogix and RSView32. Thank You! Edited by Christopher Barker

Try this: Data Source: OPC Server Name: USA (enabled) Server Name: RSLinx OPC Server Server Type: In-Process Access Path: USA

I need help connecting my RSView32 OPC Client to RSLinx Pro OPC Server on same computer. Thanks Edited by Christopher Barker

The keying error is because you have an I/O card with a firmware rev that is incompatible with the firmware rev that your PLC has in it. You need to reflash the firmware to fix this problem. With Rev 16 and a flash card (and some work), it can automatically flash everything for you to eliminate this problem. Before going further, I would also suggest stepping away from RSView for a moment and using a very generic "OPC Server" explorer-type program. The freely downloadable ones from both Kepware and Matrikon are quite good. This is just to validate that everything is working fine from the OPC side of things. I've found that SCADA systems are notoriously hard to troubleshoot from an OPC point of view (too many assumptions involved and too much configuration and hand holding). If that works, then you can concentrate specifically on RSView. Otherwise, continue to focus on what's wrong with RS-Linx. Second thing...this is a strange problem I've had with CLX processors. Did you ever restart the CLX processor, and/or start it up (power down/power up) while you were still watching with your tag browser? There's a bug (partly Microsoft, partly RS-Linx) in that if you stop/start a CLX processor, then the OPC connection must be closed and reopened before you will get any tag updates or other communication at all. Rockwell is aware of this bug, blames it on Microsoft, and there's not much you can do about it short of making some way for the HMI to stop/restart if you are using OPC communications with RS-Linx (this is not a problem with competitor OPC servers). It also doesn't appear consistently every time (sometimes it happens, sometimes not). Also I noticed that you have no path in your configuration stuff for RS-View. Is this correct or should there be a path programmed there?

Can you see your processor in RSWHO?

Thank you all for your continued patience and guidance: I took your advice and downloaded KEPServerEx. I am using it as my OPC server and I continue to use RSView32 as OPC client. I added Kepware as local OPC server and I am getting valid results in Tag Monitor. But I am getting this message in KEPServerEx "Attempt to add OPC client item '[Eccles]CV01_CLI' failed". Example of how my tags were configured '[Eccles]CV01_CLI' using RSLinx Pro. It is now configured this way 'SYSTEM.CPU._System._Enabled' with Kepware. I would like to know if I have configured it correctly? I added one channel (controllogix ethernet) and one device (controllogix 5555) with ID 130.130.130.2,1,0 Do I have to add any tags in OPC server? Why the error to add OPC client? I was able to see processor in RSWho when I had RSLinx configured. Edited by Christopher Barker

Two things here. First, it sounds like you've validated that it's not the PLC connection that's a problem or else you couldn't browse and read tags in Kepware. That was the purpose of injecting Kepware. So we can stop looking at your PLC communications and instead focus on the PC. The second area to focus on is getting the RS-View to OPC Server connection working, which so far seems to be the problem. Let's separate the PLC issue from the OPC issue. Download and install this: http://www.matrikonopc.com/products/opc-dr...ion-server.aspx This is Matrikon's OPC simulation server. It contains a bunch of tags for simulation such as constants, square waves, sine waves, and various triangular waves. First make sure that you can view the tags with the Kepware tag browser. Then using the paths that you get from Kepware, configure RS-View the same way and work on RS-View until you get it to successfully show values coming from the Matrikon simulation server. One question though...have you addressed DCOM security? What you describe is exactly like misconfigured DCOM security. There are two approaches to doing this. One is to simply disable ALL DCOM security. It is not the right thing to do but since you're just trying to get OPC working, this is a good first step. After you get everything working, then go back and set up DCOM security properly. Here is a web page explaining the issue and how to deal with it (with plenty of instructions): http://www.opcconnect.com/dcomcnfg.php Note that even though most DCOM security refers to EXTERNAL (PC-to-PC) communications, I've even had problems with it locally on the same server. So don't assume that you don't have an issue just because you're not doing OPC across the network.