Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
robh

64 bit Vista Ultimate Backup Software

5 posts in this topic

So I bought a Seagate 1.5 TB external hard drive to back up my old desktop (XP) and my laptop (Vista Ultimate). External drive says its XP and Vista compatible. The software that came on the external drive for backing up your computer will not work with 64 bit Vista. Worked fine with the XP machine. Does anybody have any suggestions for a backup software for 64 bit Vista Ultimate? Thanks, Rob

I use Norton Ghost. I backup my C: drive to a Ghost image on an external hard drive. Do the same with my wife's machine, Vista 32-bit, and then put the hard drive in a fire safe.

Just for reference, a fire proof safe will NOT protect backups. Fire proof safes still get really hot, around 350 deg F. What you need is a media safe, this keep the internal temp. below 120F. However, they are much more expensive. I recently purchased a media safe for our control system backups, and that's when I learned the difference. If you already have a fire proof safe, the are media boxes that you can purchase to go inside the safe. It's basically a really thick insulated box.

Good info Ken. I never really would have thought of that. I ended up just using the backup restore utility on the laptop. So I hope it all worked as it should!

Thanks Ken! All the CISSP study I've done of sprinkler system types, off site backups, disaster recovery and continuity planning and I don't remember that ever coming up...