Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
barryshepherd

How do I get online to a 5/04 problem?

19 posts in this topic

I am desperate to find the answer to a comms problems with an SLC 5/04. It has a panelview connected on DH+. I am aware it has had a modem connected to it. I have read previous threads and suggest using a PCMK card to get online to it. I have done that and still there is no way of getting on line to it. I dont have the program for it and the one supplied is clearly out of date as the slots I thought were spare have been used up. Thanks in advance. Barry

Can you tell us EXACTLY what steps you performed when trying to use the PCMK card? What cable was used, how was Rslinx setup, baud rate etc.... Could you see the panelview is RSWho? The PCMK card should work, the devil is in the details. Ken

The cable used is a 1784-PCM5/B The RSLinx Driver is set to : Device type PCMK Network DH+ Station Name RSLinx Station Number 77 DH+ Speed 57.6k. I cannot see the panelview either, which suprises me. I have tried both DH+ speed settings (57.6k and 230.4k) I have a series B 1784-PCMK card. Also I cant see anything on serial either. When I try to Autoconfig it says that it cant open the driver for testing. Thanks

Did you download and install the driver for the PCMK card? You can download it here: http://www.rockwellautomation.com/support/pccards/ When you open RSWho, does your PC show up as a station on DH+?

Another thing to look at with the serial port problem. http://rockwellautomation.custhelp.com/cgi...amp;p_topview=1

here’s a “wild guess” – I’ve seen people try this before ... the PCMK cable should be connected to the little round plug (8-pin miniDIN) ... it should NOT be connected to the DB9 port ... I’ve seen people use a gender changer to “make it fit” to the DB9 – but that will NOT work ... suggestion: if you have an offline copy of the existing program, post it here and let us take a look at it ... sometimes knowing the existing channel configuration helps nail things down ...

Ron here is the SLC Code for you to look at. Many thanks Barry SLC_1_CHEP_L2_MOD_DEC2008.RSS

The PCMK card only has 2 speeds but the controller and PV could be at 115.2 as well. You can check the PV to see if that is the speed it is communicating at. If that is the case you will not be able to see it with the PCMK card. You will have to use the serial port. If the serial port was set up for a modem you need to set your communciations up manually as autoconfigure will not work.

Okay, per the program file you furnished. The 5/04 is node three, and the baud rate is 230.4k, the serial port is configured for ASCII, so that explains that issue.

It appears that you should be able to connect through the Channel 0 serial port. Have you tried?

Yes( user mode)but the serial port is in system mode so he should be able to go online with DF1 protocol as TW said. What cable are you using? What driver are you trying to use to connect to the serial port? Real serial port or USB to serial adapter? There is nothing unusual about the communication settings in the file he posted. Edited by Mickey

Yes I have tried both RS-232 and the PCMK route and still can't get online to this particular SLC.

Details to Mickey's questions would help us help you

Since you've said you're able to use the same PC, cable, and driver settings to talk to other SLCs, then you may simply have a toasted PLC...in which case you can try to restore it to its default state to see if that helps. http://rockwellautomation.custhelp.com/cgi...p?p_faqid=14298 Paul

You have confirmed my suspisions, but I wanted someone to tell me without me prompting anyone. It certainly looks that way to me. Thanks to you all for all of the suggestions I certainly learned lots of other things, even if it didnt directly solve my issue.

You know, we skipped right over asking about the LEDs. Ken Roach would not be impressed. Barry, what do you see on the front LEDs of the CPU when its powered and connedcted to your laptop? Paul

Again it goes back to the fact that details would be helpful. If your satisfied thinking your processor is dead then that's fine, but there is a chance that it is not. If you want to make sure, offer us more details instead of wanting us to "tell you without you prompting us". There are some good people on this forum, but I'm unaware of any mind readers

Yeah thanks for the sarcasm, but that wont fix my problem. If you want easy questions to answer, go and look elsewhere, I suggest sesame steet!! I have posted the program online for you to look through I have given out all of the information through recent helpful posts, I possibly can, so far. If you wanted to help you would actually have bothered to look at previous posts. The LED's are Run - Solid Green DH+ Solid Green RS232 - out as is all of the rest. I am aware that the port is set to 230.4k, but my PCMK card dosent seem to want to work at this baud rate even though it is a series B.

There was no sarcasm to my post. I was requesting information to help us help you. I looked at your file and came back with questions as did Mickey. When you didn't answer his I even emphasized that answering his questions would help and you still chose not to provide the information to help us help you...but what do I know. I'll be sure to tune to Sesame Street next time you have a question