Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Guest Durham Boy

Communication With GOT

5 posts in this topic

I have recently purchased an automated machine controlled by a FX1n-40MT PLC with a F940GOT screen. I wish to make some minor changes to the system. By connecting my PC to the GOT I have been able to change the PLC program using GX Devloper. However I have not been able to comminicate with the GOT itself using GX Designer. When I try to communicate I simple get an 802 time out error. In both cases (GT and GX) I have used the same COMS port from the PC. It seams very strange that I can talk to the PLC through the GOT but not to the GOT its self. Can anyone offer assistance? Durham Boy

That's not possible. When you connect PC to GOT, you could change GOT program. To change PLC program you would have to connect to PLC. The 940GOT is pendant style touchscreen. I like them a lot, specially the monochrome version (it has better contrast than the color version). To program them you need to remove back cover (there are couple of screws) to expose male DB9 connector for downloading. Note that this is separate connector and not the same as port used to connect GOT to PLC. To download changes you need standard crossover RS232 cable (null modem). I usually carry AB cable 1747-CP3 which does the job. Mitsubishi cable part number is FX-232CAB-1. I have it as well but AB cable is better thanks to 90deg connector on one end so you can lay the screen down with cable plugged in. The GT Designer is actually package of couple of programs and they don't install in same directory or program group. They don't even work on same OS's either. Make sure to use 900-er version to work with 940F.

Oh and one more thing: Only one application can use same COM port at a time. And in case you are sure that com port is not used by anything else, your cable is ok and it's plugged to right port, check the port settings. you don't have to do anything to make FX PLC communicate with your ladder software. It automatically detects settings and adapts. GOT doesn't do that so you might want to try different baud rate (if I recall there are only three settings: 9600, 19200 and 38400bps). Happy programming...

Hi, I use the GOT series of terminals all the time, including the GOT940 and the bigger GOT985. Yes, you can access the PLC through the GOT. It's slower than connecting direct to the PLC itself but it does work. Sadly, it's not possible to connect the other way round, i.e. access the GOT via the programming port on the PLC. We had trouble at first connecting to the GOT to upload new screens etc......I'll verify the settings tomorrow (I'm at home). I remember there are a couple of things to set on the 940 before you can connect (power up whilst pressing top left corner to access admin settings). Ian.

I use this setup almost everyday and I always access the plc through the GOT. Since you say that you can access the plc program it would seem that you are using the proper cables. Even though this is probably obvious and not you're problem, but since you're using the same comm ports if you have both gx developer and gt designer open you must not be monitoring or transferring plc programs while you are trying to communicate with the GOT or you will receive that error.