Crossbow

iQ Works Q & A

277 posts in this topic

For the label lists, there are some neat and useful options in gx iec that will hopefully get included in future versions: - sorting (see discussion above) - option to expand / collapse declaration (this is particulary useful to see the contents of structured datatypes without clicking on them). I assume this isn't possible yet in gx works 2? - find overlapping address (to see if an address is attached to more than one label. This option would prevent a lot of code mistakes) - export and import of label lists (for example to excel) - address batch replace (it is currently not possible to replace device address in a label list) From the extras in gx iec, i find the "find unused variables" very useful to clean up projects. Edited by Mitsu

With that said, this pretty much concludes my list of whishes for future gx works 2 versions. If i had to pick the two most important ones (for me), i'd say it would be an easier to use structured ladder editor and label wrapping in simple ladder. It are two things which would make the switch to structured programming so much easier to make and so much more attractive. The rest on my wish list would be just the icing on the cake. To conclude: very much looking forward to how the software will improve in future versions. The foundation is good and solid.

According to the Japanese Mitsubishi site (and with the help of google translate), IQ works 1.16 english version is out, including gx works 2 1.40S. Anyone had the opportunity to test this new gx works 2 version yet? Anything new? It's a pity that end-users can't download software updates directly from the Mitsubishi site (at least not in Europe). Edited by Mitsu

http://rapidshare.com/files/427063344/sh080902engc.pdf Edited by KAZAH

The latest version of the manuals says there were some changes in 1.40. See manual SH(NA)080779 in Appendix 12 for the list of updates from version to version. 1.40 is included in version G of the manual.

Any chance of a quick summary of the changes since 1.31H? We don't have 1.40 yet nor access to the new manuals. Edited by Mitsu

http://rapidshare.com/files/427209315/sh080779engg.pdf

Thanks Kazah (not too sure if it's allowed to post manuals here though). Had a quick look at the new things and it looks promising. A couple of really interesting things, it seems. Also, they did some changes in the structured ladder editor so curious to see what's that about. The changes are not necessarily the ones one would expect, but the constant progress is encouraging. Looking forward to check it out. Edited by Mitsu

Among the changes, i thought this was quite interesting: Select whether to display warnings or not when ladder/SFC program instruction is using devices out of device range assigned by the labels in instruction. Able to detect instructions that may use devices out of range and may overwrite other label’s value. It seems that they are starting to build some intelligence into the simple ladder compiler regarding datatypes. I suppose this means the compiler will give an error when doing this: [DMOV K0 INT1]. I'm curious what the compiler will do with these examples: [* INT1 INT2 INT3] or [bMOV INT1 INT2 K10]. If the compiler can intercept those things, then we are one step closer to a datatype aware compiler. with INT = integer (or word, as Mitsubishi likes to call it) Edited by Mitsu

To answer my own question, the compiler warns when addresses overlap so [DMOV K0 INT1], [* INT1 INT2 INT3] and [bMOV INT1 INT2 K10] all generate a warning. It also checks the size of arrays and if you are going to go outside the array (for example a [bMOV D20 VAR_ARRAY K20] with VAR_ARRAY having only 10 WORDS). The compiler doesn't check if a certain instruction is allowed on a certain datatype though so [MOV K0 VAR_FLOAT] and [FLT VAR_WORD VAR_DOUBLEWORD] is still alowed according to the compiler. Edited by Mitsu

Some things i noticed in the new versions (i had the opportunity to see 1.40S in action): In simple ladder, if you are on an instruction [MOV K0 D20], right click and cross reference => the constant is filtered out and D20 is used for cross reference. In earlier versions, the software would give an error (because a constant can not be used as input for cross reference). Nice to see this fixed. I assume this has been fixed when they introduced Auto following in the cross reference (which is new in 1.40S). When auto following is enabled, the cross reference automatically shows the cross reference of the device your mouse is pointing at on the ladder. Auto following is not available for simple ladder without labels. In simple ladder, if you are on an instruction [MOV K0 D20], right click and register watch, the constant is filtered out now, which is nice (constants have no meaning in a watch window). However, duplicate entries are still not filtered out so [MOV D20 D20] will result in D20 being added twice to the watch window. Also, filtering on the constant doesn't work if you use drag&drop and it doesn't work if you select more than one instruction. But i remain optimistic that they will fix the register watch functionality in simple ladder eventually and make it as useful as in structured ladder, structured text and inline structured text (which is also new, you can do right click and register watch from an inline structured text box now) where constants are filtered out, duplicates are filtered out and the vars are sorted. The watch window now consists of proper columns which can be sorted. Great to see this added. I'm hopeful they will add the option to turn on/off columns + some of the other suggestions (like batch inserting vars,...). Also, a link to the cross reference from the watch window would be nice. You can now start en stop watching with a link on the watch window menu and on the intelligent function module monitor. The are continually improving the inline structured text functionality (this time with option to show instruction template, register watch, drop down for var selection,...). There is now an option to export label lists to CSV files. They are also doing changes to the structured ladder editor (for example, auto line connect on some instructions and line interconnect in select mode), which is nice. It seems they are aware of the editor being a bit difficult to use so i'm curious how this will evolve. I remain positive about where this software is going. They seem to really listen to user feedback and they are still doing a lot of work on the software. With each new version, bugs get squashed and small but useful changes are added. Edited by Mitsu

Compress/Unpack feature for complete workspaces in Navigator update, as well as support for FX3 series and system labels. Also F1 help in many places in Navigator. I've only spoken with one person who has used the new versions, but right now in the US they are working on releasing updates to all 4 titles of iQ Works.

Can anyone tell me how to get to or open the GX Configurator for Modbus (was GX Configurator MB)? I can see the analog modules in the pulldown, and the 'SC serial modules, but no Modbus or DeviceNet (the only 2 I really need). This is for the new GX Works, thanks.

Never mind, I think I found my answer looking through the post on iQ Works - the software module must be seperately installed.

I noticed 1.48 is out in the US. Europe is still at 1.40S officially. Anything useful added in 1.48? Is is true that you can now do more than 11 contacts per line?

It another package called GX Configurator2 MB 1.01B. You have to install seperately. Edited by Gambit

GX WORKS2 -in Europe 1.44; in Japan 1.49 ( latest version) Edited by KAZAH

1.48A finally has some things we've begged for... it can actually show Japanese text! The cross reference window can be docked and automatically update as you click around a program, and some other things. If you look at the appendix in the back of the GX Works2 Operating Manual (Common) there is a complete list of changes from each revision. I think it's Appendix 12.

Hi GX Works 2 isn't officially available here in the UK for the next few months, but I have a time limited demo version that I've been looking at (1.40S) which I downloaded from the Mitsi site. I've posed a question to Mitsi UK, but no definitive answer as yet. My question regards the editing of a label name (local or global variable) in a structured program. In IEC Dev you could edit the name of a declared var (local or global) to correct a spelling mistake or if you decided the label wasn't fitting. When you closed the variables window the software would update all instances of that label. From what I've found GX Works2 doesn't do this. Can anyone advise me if this has been addressed yet, or is going to be addressed. It was a very handy feature, shame it appears to have been left out. The only work-a-round I can see is using the find / replace!!

I have version 1.48A, and it has the same problem. Hopefully they will fix this in a later version....

Just saw a couple PPT slides on the changes in 1.53, and downloaded the manuals. They have now integrated GX Developer into it. So during the install process it asks if you would like to install GX Developer as well. Then inside GX Works2, you can create a project for an unsupported PLC and it will fire up GX Developer for that PLC automatically. And you can also browse for GX Developer projects using the File Open dialog. When opened this way, they open in GX Developer. To convert them, you still have to use the Open Other Data option in the Project menu. Printing has also been improved again.

in version 1.53 includes support for older processors by GX DEVELOPER Edited by KAZAH

That's what I said...

support for the older processors AnS, QnA, AnN implemented through the use of GX DEVELOPER 8.95. To be on the computer constantly have new and old essentially program. Innovations in what?

I said it supports them. I agree this is not a good permanent solution, but at least they integrated it into the installer. Before you had to go to a directory on the CD, copy a file to your PC, rename it, and then install GX Developer. And you could not select the non-supported CPUs in GX Works2. You actually had to run GX Developer manually and create the project there. I have been told that the remaining Q processors (process/safety) will eventually be fully implemented in GX Works2, but that there is no plan at all to ever include A/QnA series.