Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
plc course

plc-course.com training video tutorials

10 posts in this topic

Hi, Just wanted to share a website about PLC training and tutorials: http://www.plc-course.com

Ron B are you part of the site that is linked above because if you're not they are using a lot of your hard work.

Greetings Bob O ... no, that’s something new that’s popped up ... I haven’t had time to fully explore it, but off the top of my head I probably won’t mind if they use my material - as long as they leave my name and contact information on it (which so far as I’ve seen, it looks like they have) ... I’ll try to go a bit deeper sometime this week – and probably run it by my lawyer ... if I remember what he told me the last time, I have to “defend my copyright” in order to keep the material from entering the “public domain” – or something along those lines ... Greetings to plc course ... if this is YOUR website that we're talking about, please drop me an email when you get a chance ... as I said above, I probably won’t mind if you use my material – but I think that to keep things straight, you probably should ask for permission first ... at any rate, I’m honored that you found the material worth posting ... and welcome to the forum ...

Ron, I think you leave yourself open when you allow your videos on youtube to be embeddable (ie, anyone can add your video to their website). There are sites all over the web that grab vidoeos from youtube and do nothing more than embed them on their sites. You may want to lock them down if that is a concern. Hey but let me know if you do that! If possible I would still like to be able to use them on our site. I think from our previous discussions you are ok with that. I would be interested in what discussions you have had with your lawyer. They have put two of our videos on their site from youtube that we left protected (ie, not embedable). The only thing I can figure is that they must have recorded them as they were viewed. I wasn't too worried about it since when you watch the video Automation Technologies is part of the video. I now am concerned that since I locked those videos down that I open myself to diluting the copyright. Hmmm. Russell Edited by PLCMentor.com

There are way too many site that are youtube rippers. Like this one: http://keepvid.com/ It's as simple as downloading it then reuploading it as your own. I assume if they have done this under their account and claim they owned the video, I my self would have a problem with that.

There are also utilities like the DownloadHelper app for Firefox which will record videos out of websites. I doubt it's checking to see if the video is embeddable or not.

I think it has to do with your ultimate goal. Do you want to control where you videos are hosted from or do you want to sell a product? If it were an article or something that I put up where my only reward was the credit for that piece of work, I would have a problem with people distributing it across the internet. But Ron's purpose is to show the effectiveness of his training methods. In that case I would want the to spread all over the internet like wildfire. I've posted them on Patchn. http://www.patchn.com/index.php?option=com...3&Itemid=74 It's got Ron an extra thousand hits. I did it because many people don't see Youtube as a place to find work related material. Patchn is a maintenance site and does get a large amount of it's traffic from technicians. One of those hits could be an additional student. That would be additional revenue for Ron and another qualified person I can work with in a plant. Seems like a win win scenario. Also Ron, I have no problem hosting the actual files for you if you run into many people who can't view them due to restrictions on visiting Youtube. I have had one person say they couldn't view the Youtube video on Patchn because of restrictions. I referred him to your DVD offer

Greetings to all ... first a BIG "thank you" to Archie Jacobs and to Tim Wilborne for all of their efforts in helping me get my "website" marketing act together ... the constant tweaking and twiddling is obviously paying off ... I just did a Google search for PLC TUTORIAL VIDEOS ... out of 55,800 hits, mine is #1 (right after the paid advertisements) ... just searching for the magic words PLC TRAINING gets 1,880,000 hits (close to two million) and I'm now on page #2 ... not bad - and hopefully even that's going to improve as I get some more exposure ... and I’m still twiddling and tweaking ... right now the challenge is to stay afloat until “at least the third or fourth quarter” ... I’ve got several leads from customers that keep using that same line for when their companies are going to let them start spending money again ... we’ll see ... in the meantime, as TW pointed out, my goal was to put the videos out there to generate BU$INE$$ - specifically, to sell training classes ... so as for people posting my videos, the more the merrier as far as I’m concerned ... just as long at my contact information stays in place, I’m not too concerned ... beside the generous tips and leads from Archie and Tim on “how to fix a website” I’m also deeply indebted to many other friends out there (too many to name) who are spreading the word to potential customers every chance they get ... I sincerely appreciate every effort ... thank you all ...

That is part of my quandry. I want the videos on youtube. That is where I got my start on this video thing. I do want to protect the original content on our site. I do not want sites poaching our material. At this point, that material is our product. I am sure there would be some future benefit from project work generated, but that is not really my purpose for the site. Ron, great search results! I have been having limited success in the class we discused just not our magic number. thanks all for the info. Russell

Add some kind of watermark on the actual video, so if someone rips it, your name will still appear on the video. I know that can be defeated too, but not by as many people. And not some little thing in the corner, make sure it's well inside the edges of the video or someone will just resize and cut it off.