Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
WireGuy1950

"Real" Serial Port Add-on

5 posts in this topic

I would like some comments on adding an Express Card/serial adapter used with a PCMCIA to Express Card adapter. I have an older Dell Latitude and the built in serial port has failed. I am using a Keyspan usb to serial adapter, but this does not work for all applications. My thought is to buy an Express Card Serial Adapter and a PCMCIA to Express Card Adapter to use in the Dell until such time as I need to get a new laptop, in which case I can just use the Express Card to Serial Adapter. Thanks Guy

I know its not a specific answer to you expresscard question but I have a newer laptop without a serial port and I use a USB to serial adapter from Wyse and have never had something it didnt work on. Keyspan was supposed to be one of the most reliable as well. Nothing that plugs into the express card slot will be a "real" serial port any more either. Everything is virtualized.

It is $25 and from AB but the 9300-USBS has worked for me with my new no-native serial port laptop.

I really don't have a problem with most AB software, I generally use a PCMK card to communicate, but my Keyspan also works for DF1. My problems have been with TI-Soft-- I had to set up a virtual machine to use the Keyspan as Com1, which works okay. Just the other day I tried to up load a PV1000E and could not communicate from RSLinks 2.51 to the HMI. I also cannot get Automation Direct software to use the Keyspan, and there are other legacy programs (DOS) that really need a built in Com port. From what little I have been able discover, a PCMCIA serial card functions just like a built in port. I'm not sure this applies to an express card though.

i would be surprised if they have drivers for dos just as i don't think that one will get usb converter (keyspan or any other) to work under dos. just wondering if it was really worth the trouble to go through this instead of simply getting laptop with serial port. whatever card you install, it will need some drivers and they will be for windows (Win2000 or newer if you buy new hardware, getting some old adapter may have Win9x drivers). after all, they are still sold new. i see used Dell laptops (such as D620 etc) in just about every computer store, costing anywhere from $300-600.