Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Fusionworks

Compact Logix to Panel View 600

8 posts in this topic

I am starting a new project and would appreciate some advive on how to communicate betwwen a compact logix 1769-32E and a PV600 both have Ethernet. I have found a post on have to set up the Ethernet setting on the PV but the selection for node type suggest that I need a 1761-NET-EN. My first question is can't one use the Ehternet port on th porcessor and if so what selection does one make from the node type. Second question is, I am familiar with the adressing when it comes to RSlogix between the two but not sure about how to program between the two using tags and their adresses. An example would be apprecited for a read and write.

Just to clarifysome things. Your Panelview 600 has ethernet - Is it a Panelview Plus 600 with an ethernet port on the back, or is it a Panelview 600 with an ethernet converter ie 1761-net-eni attached? This will determine a lot of what you need to do. If Panelview Plus 600 you'll program the panelview with RSView and use RSlinx Enterprise to establish a communication path between the PV and CPLGX. RSView will use the same tag names as RSLogix 5000 and reads and writes will be more or less seamless. If Panelview 600 with net-eni you'll program the panelbuilder 32. And I'n not sure the ENi will work I've never tried it. If it does you'll set the panelview to communicate DF-1 or DH485 and eni will translate and connect you "seamlessly" to the CPLGX. About as much as I can say for right now.

Hi Fusionworks, welcome to the Forum. Rule #1 for any PanelView question, especially those involving communications, is that you must post the full part number of the PanelView. It will be in the format "2711-T6C8" or similar. Once you do that, your question can be answered.

The panel view has a RS-232 port as well as an Etherenet 10/00 port. I have panelview 32 for programming.

In PanelBuilder32, select "ControlLogix5000" as the controller type, and set the Path to "1 0 " to tell the PanelView to access the CompactLogix controller at the virtual backplane slot 0. There are a handful of RA Knowledgebase examples for addressing between Logix and PaneBuilder32: http://rockwellautomation.custhelp.com/cgi...p?p_faqid=20512 http://rockwellautomation.custhelp.com/cgi...p?p_faqid=26487

One for me KEN - I didn't even know that the "Traditional" Panelviews did ethernet, thought you had to go Plus for that option.

PanelView Standard has a complex history with ControlLogix data types; support was slowly added to firmware and PanelBuilder32 to support Logix tag names and data types. Connectivity to ControlLogix is pretty good, especially over Ethernet, from the current PB32 and f/w. PV+ is a better integration option with Logix; you get the direct tag browser and faceplates and UDT support and automatic optimization. One thing that PV Standard does that PV+ doesn't on Ethernet is that it will run as an I/O connection, so you can play a PV Standard like a piano on Ethernet with Logix.

The 26487 link was usefull thanks but the 20512 link required a support contract which I don't have is there any where else I can get and example? Edited by Fusionworks